How to Sum an Infinite Series?

In summary, the problem is trying to find the sum of an infinite series, and the person is stuck because they can't reduce the denominator to closed form.
Buffu

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the given infinite series.
$$S = {1\over 1\times 3} + {2\over 1\times 3\times 5}+{3\over 1\times 3\times 5\times 7} \cdots $$

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to reduce the denominator to closed form by converting it to a factorial.

$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\over {\prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a -1 }}$$
$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\times \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a\over \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a -1 \times \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a}$$
$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\times 2^{k+1} \times (k+1)! \over (2(k+1))!}$$

I hit the dead end here. Although i can simply this a bit more but i still can't find a series that i can sum easily.
Please provide some hints as to how can i proceed further.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:

Homework Statement

$${1\over 1\times 3} + {2\over 1\times 3\times 5}+{3\over 1\times 3\times 5\times 7} \cdots $$

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\over {\prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a -1 }}$$
$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\times \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a\over \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a -1 \times \prod^{k + 1}_{a = 1} 2a}$$
$$\sum_{k \ge 1} {k\times 2^{k+1} \times (k+1)! \over (2(k+1))!}$$

I hit the dead end here. Although i can simply this a bit more but i still can't find a series that i can sum easily.
Please provide some hints as to how can i proceed further.
What are you supposed to show in this problem? Your problem description is lacking this information.

The trick is to write it as a telescopic sum:
[tex]
\frac{n}{(2n+1)!} = \frac{1}{2(2n-1)!} - \frac{1}{2(2n+1)!}
[/tex]
(in case you haven't seen it before, ! is the double factorial)

Mark44 said:
What are you supposed to show in this problem? Your problem description is lacking this information.
I am really sorry Mark. I have edited the question. Please see if my edit is sufficient enough.

Buffu said:
I am really sorry Mark. I have edited the question. Please see if my edit is sufficient enough.
Much better. I wasn't sure whether you were supposed to determine if the series converged or diverged, or if it converged, find the sum.

Fightfish said:
The trick is to write it as a telescopic sum:
[tex]
\frac{n}{(2n+1)!} = \frac{1}{2(2n-1)!} - \frac{1}{2(2n+1)!}
[/tex]
(in case you haven't seen it before, ! is the double factorial)

I don't know what double factorial means. Sorry.
Does double factorial means ##n! = n(n-2)(n-4)\times\cdots \times3 \times 1## or ## (n!)!##?

Also, can you tell how you know that this is a telescopic series ?
Have you done this question before ?

Buffu said:
Does double factorial means ##n! = n(n-2)(n-4)\times\cdots \times 1##
This one.
Buffu said:
Also, can you tell how you know that this is a telescopic series ?
Had you done this question before ?
Nope, haven't done it before - but its a standard technique for evaluating infinite summation of series. It probably helps to examine the structure of the first few terms. This can lead you to a good guess / ansatz that you can then prove in general for an arbitrary term.

Fightfish said:
This one.

Nope, haven't done it before - but its a standard technique for evaluating infinite summation of series. It probably helps to examine the structure of the first few terms.

Thank you very much. You are genius for sure.

What is the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of an infinite series is the value that the series approaches as more and more terms are added together. It is the total value of all the terms in the series.

How can the sum of an infinite series be calculated?

The sum of an infinite series can be calculated using various mathematical techniques such as geometric series formula, telescoping series, or by using the concept of convergence and divergence.

What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is one that approaches a finite value as more terms are added, while a divergent series is one that does not approach a finite value and instead goes to infinity or oscillates between values.

What is the significance of the ratio test in determining the sum of an infinite series?

The ratio test is a method to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It compares the ratio of consecutive terms in a series and if the ratio is less than 1, the series converges, and if the ratio is greater than 1, the series diverges.

What are some real-world applications of infinite series?

Infinite series have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model and understand various real-world phenomena such as population growth, compound interest, and electrical circuits.