Side lengths of inscribed triangle

In summary, the triangle is inscribed in the circle because the angles at the vertices are equal and the sum of the angles at the vertices is 180 degrees.
Maddie1609

Homework Statement

The corners A, B and C of a triangle lies on a circle with radius 3. We say the triangle is inscribed in the circle. ∠A is 40° and ∠B is 80°.

Find the length of the sides AB, BC and AC.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found out the arc AB is 2π, arc BC is 4π/3 and arc AC is 8π/3. Don't know if it's relevant, but I did it nonetheless. The book says nothing about finding the arc or finding the lengths, the question came out of nowhere. It's a shitty book to say the least. Don' really know where to go from here. Is there a constant ratio between length of sides of a central angle and something else?

Likes Noctisdark
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
1-What's the sum of angle in a triangle ?
2-Does this sound familiar BC/angle(A) = AC/angle(B) = AB/angle(C) = ?
Edit: [= 2R], R is the radius ;)

Likes Maddie1609
Noctisdark said:
Hint:
1-What's the sum of angle in a triangle ?
2-Does this sound familiar BC/angle(A) = AC/angle(B) = AB/angle(C) = ?

Oh my god, of course, thank you so much!

Likes Noctisdark
Welcome ;)

Noctisdark said:
Does this sound familiar BC/angle(A) = AC/angle(B) = AB/angle(C) = ?

Not to me. It just sounds wrong.

I was thinking (s)he meant a/sin A = b / sin B = c/sin C, but I didn't have a single side length so it wasn't much help either way.
LCKurtz said:
Not to me. It just sounds wrong.

Likes Noctisdark
Maddie1609 said:
I was thinking (s)he meant a/sin A = b / sin B = c/sin C, but I didn't have a single side length so it wasn't much help either way.

I supposed that too. So, have you solved the problem?

LCKurtz said:
I supposed that too. So, have you solved the problem?
No :-( Any ideas?

Hint: Draw the radii to the three vertices. There is a relation between the central angles and the angles of the triangle.

LCKurtz said:
Hint: Draw the radii to the three vertices. There is a relation between the central angles and the angles of the triangle.

This is how far I've gotten, but I haven't the slightest clue what to do next. Unless I can somehow find the one other angle in one of the triangles.

Screenshot_2015-04-09-20-55-16.png

Likes Noctisdark
That's good so far. So for each interior triangle, you have two equal sides and need the third side. The law of Sines wasn't helping you. But there is another law...

Likes Noctisdark
A/sin(a) = B/sin(b) = C/sin(c) = 2R
Solve for lengh, you hava the radius and the angles,

LCKurtz said:
That's good so far. So for each interior triangle, you have two equal sides and need the third side. The law of Sines wasn't helping you. But there is another law...

Cosines :-D Jesus, never would have thought of that, we haven't had any trig in this class. Out of sight, out of mind. Thank you! Is it correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-09-21-31-51.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-09-21-31-51.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 460
Likes Noctisdark
Noctisdark said:
A/sin(a) = B/sin(b) = C/sin(c) = 2R
Solve for lengh, you hava the radius and the angles,
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you mean.

That can only be true if you know two length and one angle, in your case no lenght, I'm going to break the law and tell you the solution,

Attachments

• IMG_20150409_204255.jpg
    IMG_20150409_204255.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 423
Noctisdark said:
That can only be true if you know two length and one angle, in your case no lenght, I'm going to break the law and tell you the solution,
I solved it above using the law of cosines, but where did the 2r come from? How do you know the ratio is 2×radius of circumscribed circle? :-)

You just messed it up and wrongly used the cosine law (al-kashi), just if you read my first post, the sine law is a/sin(A) = b/sin(B) = c/sin(C) = 2R where r is the radius of the circle you are talking about, take it easy .

Noctisdark said:
You just messed it up and wrongly used the cosine law (al-kashi), just if you read my first post, the sine law is a/sin(A) = b/sin(B) = c/sin(C) = 2R where r is the radius of the circle you are talking about, take it easy .
Take it easy? Don't know what you're talking about, but okay. What was wrong with it? What does al-kashi mean? Haha. What I'm wondering is how you know the ratio A/sin A = 2r? :-)

Likes Noctisdark
What i mean is that you over complexed the problem and its wrong , from where did the 3 came of, wrong use of cos law and check any site or your textbook to check the esuation i gave you,

Noctisdark said:
What i mean is that you over complexed the problem and its wrong , from where did the 3 came of, wrong use of cos law and check any site or your textbook to check the equation I gave you,
As Maddie asked: Where did you get the relation, A/sin(A) = 2R ?

It seems LCKurtz didn't consider it to be something commonly known, and I agree with him.

Likes Maddie1609
Noctisdark said:
What i mean is that you over complexed the problem and its wrong , from where did the 3 came of, wrong use of cos law and check any site or your textbook to check the esuation i gave you,
3 was the radius, but was the equating wrong in and of itself or would you just rather I use a simpler method? I have seen the law of sines before, but I haven't seen that the ratio equals the 2r. Could you explain or tell me what to google? :-)

Demonstrate it by yourself, I learned it in basic trig and ever he application of cos law with totally wrong and messed up,

Noctisdark said:
Demonstrate it by yourself, I learned it in basic trig and ever he application of cos law with totally wrong and messed up,
Sure, I can see that it's true for a triangle inscribed in a circle, but it's not something like the Law of Sines and Law of Cosines that I consider to be fundamental.

Likes Noctisdark
Noctisdark said:
Don't know how I'm supposed to construct a proof for it, but anyhow, I haven't seen it used before in any textbooks I've used so far. Could you explain how my answers were wrong or the use of cosines was wrong?

Likes Noctisdark
Every thing was wrong about it
http://2000clicks.com/mathhelp/GeometryLawOfSinesProof.aspx

I just got back from lunch and have a couple of comments.
@Maddie1609: Your answers are OK but I wouldn't but the value of ##a^2## equal to its square root on the same line.
@Noctisdark: In your post #2 you left out the sines, which is why I said it was wrong.
@SammyS:Yes, I don't consider it commonly known. In fact, I don't remember it even if it is true.

Likes Maddie1609
Noctisdark said:
Every thing was wrong about it
http://2000clicks.com/mathhelp/GeometryLawOfSinesProof.aspx
I was just looking at that haha, thanks. Like what? I got the same answer you did. Instead of just claiming it was wrong, you could say what exactly was wrong about it.

LCKurtz said:
I just got back from lunch and have a couple of comments.
@Maddie1609: Your answers are OK but I wouldn't but the value of ##a^2## equal to its square root on the same line.
@Noctisdark: In your post #2 you left out the sines, which is why I said it was wrong.
@SammyS:Yes, I don't consider it commonly known. In fact, I don't remember it even if it is true.
My bad, ha ha, I was just writing it out swiftly :-) Thanks for your help!

Likes Noctisdark
You should know it or know how to demonstrate it, but maddie did you explain from where you got the 3, not for me but in the papercheet to give to the teacher, maths should be logic and precise, in fact using sine here is a stright direct application of it not turning around loop and using cos,

Maddie1609 said:
I was just looking at that haha, thanks. Like what? I got the same answer you did. Instead of just claiming it was wrong, you could say what exactly was wrong about it.
Your work was great but you didn't tell from where you got the 3 and i advice hundred time to consider the simplest and safest path, sorry for making it so loud, and for speaking too much,

Likes Maddie1609
Noctisdark said:
You should know it or know how to demonstrate it, but maddie did you explain from where you got the 3, not for me but in the papercheet to give to the teacher, maths should be logic and precise, in fact using sine here is a stright direct application of it not turning around loop and using cos,
I couldn't possibly know something I hadn't previously heard of. The fact that the radius is 3 was given in the task. This isn't something I'm handing in, I'm preparing for an exam, so no one but myself sees it :-) That doesn't make it wrong though, haha.

Likes Noctisdark

1. What is an inscribed triangle?

An inscribed triangle is a triangle that is drawn inside a circle, with all three of its vertices touching the circle's circumference.

2. How are the side lengths of an inscribed triangle related?

The side lengths of an inscribed triangle are related by the inscribed angle theorem, which states that the measure of an inscribed angle is half the measure of the central angle that intercepts the same arc. In other words, the side lengths are proportional to the measures of the angles opposite them.

3. Can an inscribed triangle have equal side lengths?

Yes, an inscribed triangle can have equal side lengths. In fact, when the inscribed triangle is an equilateral triangle, it is known as an inscribed regular polygon.

4. How can the side lengths of an inscribed triangle be calculated?

The side lengths of an inscribed triangle can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, as well as the Pythagorean theorem. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using the radius of the circle and the central angle that intercepts the sides of the triangle.

5. What is the relationship between the side lengths of an inscribed triangle and the radius of the circle?

The side lengths of an inscribed triangle are directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the side lengths also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the circumradius formula.