Finding the The Power of CDC Computers

In summary, the CDC 6600 was able to solve the problem faster than the modern Core i7. However, the Core i7 is more powerful.
Borek
Mentor
http://www.ams.org/journals/bull/1966-72-06/S0002-9904-1966-11654-3/

article.jpg

Funny thing, this:

Code:
#define p5(__i__) (__i__*__i__*__i__*__i__*__i__)

int main(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
    __int64 i, j, k, l, m;

for (i = 1;i < 200;i++)
        for (j = 1;j < i;j++)
            for (k = 1;k < j;k++)
                for (l = 1;l < k;l++)
                    for (m = 1;m < k;m++)
                        if (p5(i) == p5(j) + p5(k) + p5(l) + p5(m))
                            printf("%I64d -> %I64d %I64d %I64d %I64d\n",i,j,k,l,m);

return 0;
}

finds their solution in around 2 sec on my i7 (compiled to x64, no idea what code optimizations are done automatically and there are plenty of things that can be done) so it can be up to 8 times faster if split between threads. I wonder how long it took on CDC.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Probably a long time. My cell phone is more powerful than the early Crays.

According to Wiki, the CDC 6600 maxed out at about 3 MFLOPS, with about 0.5 MFLOP sustained when running Fortran programs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_6600

Not bad for a 50-year old design with a clock speed of about 40 MHz.

By contrast, the Intel Core i7 family performs safely in GFLOP territory, with one model (the 6-core i7 980 XE) maxing out at 109 GFLOPS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLOPS

GPUs are now capable of operating in Tera FLOP territory, though.

Likes Borek
SteamKing said:
According to Wiki, the CDC 6600 maxed out at about 3 MFLOPS

This problem doesn't call for flops, it is all integers (outside of the 32 bit territory though).

Borek said:
This problem doesn't call for flops, it is all integers (outside of the 32 bit territory though).

Just trying to provide a rough gauge of performance between two systems designed 50 years apart.

Like the disclaimers say, your performance may vary.

Likes Borek

Related to Finding the The Power of CDC Computers

1. What is the Power of CDC Computers?

The Power of CDC Computers refers to the computing capabilities and advancements of Control Data Corporation (CDC) computers during the 1960s and 1970s. These computers were known for their high speeds, multitasking abilities, and innovative operating systems.

2. How did CDC Computers revolutionize computing?

CDC Computers were one of the first to use parallel processing, allowing multiple tasks to be performed simultaneously. They also introduced virtual memory and time-sharing, making computers more efficient and accessible to multiple users.

3. What were the main applications of CDC Computers?

CDC Computers were used in a variety of fields, including scientific research, weather forecasting, and business data processing. They were also used by the military and government agencies for defense and intelligence purposes.

4. What impact did CDC Computers have on the computer industry?

The innovations of CDC Computers influenced the development of future computer systems and technologies. Their advanced capabilities set the standard for high-performance computing, and their operating systems inspired the creation of modern multitasking and virtual memory systems.

5. Are there any modern technologies that can be traced back to CDC Computers?

Yes, many modern technologies, such as parallel processing, virtual memory, and multitasking, can be traced back to CDC Computers. Their advancements have paved the way for the development of faster and more efficient computers that we use today.