Finding the Unknown Resistance Value

In summary, the current going through resistor R1 in the given circuit does not change, regardless of the positions of the switches S1 and S2. In order to determine the value of the unknown resistor R, the total resistance of the circuit must be calculated using Ohm's Law. The current through R1 can be found by setting the battery currents equal and using the equivalent resistance of the parallel pair. Redrawing the circuit with only the necessary components can aid in understanding and solving the problem.
Lamp Guy

Homework Statement

The current going through the resistor R1 in the figure does not change whether the two switches S1 and S2 are both open or both closed. The resistances are R1 = 70.00 Ω, R2 = 50.00 Ω, and R3 = 62.00 Ω. The voltage is V = 15 V. With this information, what is the value of the unknown resistance R? Recall that a conducting wire can be treated as a resistor of 0 Ω, and points on a wire between resistors are at the same potential. Hint:
Kirchoff's rules are useful here.

The image is found here: http://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/current-going-resistor-r1-figure-change-whether-two-switches-s1-s2-open-closed-resistances-q4890516

Homework Equations

R(for series)=R1+R2+R3
R(for parallel)=R1*R2/(R1+R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to add up all three resistors originally and got 182 ohms total, then made that equal to 50 + (70R)/(70+R) but it's not working. Not quite sure how to apply Kirchoff's rules here so any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain why you added up some resistor values? That will indicate whether you see the problem clearly.

You don't need Kirchoff's Laws, specifically. Ohm's Law will suffice. :)

I added them up because it said that the current is the same no matter what, so that's how I found the overall current.

Lamp Guy said:
I added them up because it said that the current is the same no matter what, so that's how I found the overall current.
Okay. That's with the switches in the positions shown? What numbers did you add? Did you do the addition in your head, or did you use a calculator?

i added 70, 50 and 62 to get 183.

182*

Lamp Guy said:
182*
Okay. (I was using the values on the figure.)

So that will allow you to calculate the current in R1? What value is it?

Next, how to determine R1's current with the switches closed?

Lamp Guy said:
... then made that equal to 50 + (70R)/(70+R) but it's not working. Not quite sure how to apply Kirchoff's rules here so any help would be appreciated.
What you are doing here is setting the battery currents equal, because you are equating the loop resistances. BUT the current through R1 is only a fraction of the battery current, with the switches closed.

So you have yet to find an expression for the current through R1 with switches closed. It would be a good idea to redraw the circuit as simply as possible, so you see clearly what is needed.

How do I find out what the current through R1 is? I thought that since it was parallel with the missing R, it would be 70R/(70+R). I've never worked with switches so I'm pretty confused by them.

Lamp Guy said:
How do I find out what the current through R1 is? I thought that since it was parallel with the missing R, it would be 70R/(70+R).
70R/(70+R) is the equivalent resistance of the parallel pair. Once you know the current through that pair then you need to sort out how much of it goes through each.

I've never worked with switches so I'm pretty confused by them.
That's why I suggested you redraw the circuit with the bare minimum necessary, for clarity. Draw it with no switches, etc. :cool:

Last edited:

1. How do I find the unknown resistance of a circuit?

To find the unknown resistance of a circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (R=V/I) or a multimeter to measure the voltage and current of the circuit. Once you have these values, you can calculate the resistance.

2. What are some common methods for finding an unknown resistance?

Some common methods for finding an unknown resistance include using a multimeter, using Ohm's Law, using a Wheatstone bridge, and using a potentiometer.

3. What is the importance of finding an unknown resistance in a circuit?

Finding an unknown resistance in a circuit is important for understanding the behavior and characteristics of the circuit. It can also help in troubleshooting and designing circuits for specific purposes.

4. Are there any limitations to finding an unknown resistance?

Yes, there can be limitations to finding an unknown resistance. Some methods may not be accurate for high or low resistance values, and the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by external factors like temperature and humidity. Additionally, the type of circuit and components used can also affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. Can I use a digital multimeter to find an unknown resistance?

Yes, a digital multimeter can be used to find an unknown resistance by measuring the voltage and current of the circuit. However, it is important to ensure that the multimeter is set to the correct range and that the circuit is not powered on during the measurement.