Finding the Value of a Compounded Annuity Fund

In summary: We can solve for $m(t)$ using the initial condition and the definition of $m(t)$...:\frac{dm}{dt}=1800+0.07788t+2000which gives us:m(t)=-0.1459t+2000
alane1994
A high school mathematics teacher puts \(\$\)2000 into an annuity fund and then contributes \(\$\)1800 per year into the fund for the next 30 years by making small weekly contributions. (We assume weekly contributions are close enough to continuous deposits so that we may use a differential equation model.) The fund grows at a rate of 7.5% per year.

(a) Write a differential equation that models the growth of this fund using \(m(t)\) for the amount of money present in the fund.
(b) How much money will be in the fund after 30 years according to this model.

I feel confident that I can solve (b)

I am confused because 7.5% isn't an interest rate or anything...

------EDIT------

When I try and put it into

\(Pe^{rt}\)

It doesn't come out right, I am completely baffled as to how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would take the 7.5% annual growth to be due to interest. So, we have two things contributing to the growth of the fund...the weekly contributions (which we are told to model as continuous) resulting in an annual growth and the annual growth due to interest. We are also given an initial value. Can you put all of this together to get an IVP that models the situation?

Hmm...

For a continuous growth rate, would we have?

\(\displaystyle \lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}(1+\frac{0.75}{n})^{n}\)

so r = .07788 perhaps?

What you want to do is write an IVP consisting of an ODE that describes how $m(t)$ (in dollars) changes with time $t$ (in years), and the initial amount present in the account:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dm}{dt}=\text{annual contributions}+\text{annual growth from interest earned}\) where \(\displaystyle m(0)=\text{initial investment}\)

We are told the annual contributions total \$1800, and the initial investment is \$2000. Now, the annual growth from interest will be a function of $m(t)$...:D

Hello,

I can provide you with some guidance on how to approach this problem.

(a) The differential equation that models the growth of this fund can be written as:

\(\frac{dm}{dt} = 0.075m + 1800\)

Where \(m(t)\) represents the amount of money in the fund at time \(t\) and 0.075 is the annual growth rate of 7.5% converted to a decimal.

(b) To solve for the amount of money in the fund after 30 years, we can use the formula for compound interest:

\(A = P(1+r)^n\)

Where \(A\) is the final amount, \(P\) is the initial amount, \(r\) is the annual growth rate, and \(n\) is the number of compounding periods. Since the contributions are made weekly, we can convert 30 years to 1560 weeks.

Plugging in the values, we get:

\(A = (2000 + 1800)(1+0.075)^{1560} \approx \$1,235,075.66\)

So, according to this model, after 30 years, there will be approximately $1,235,075.66 in the fund.

I understand your confusion about the 7.5% growth rate. In this context, it represents the annual interest rate that the fund is growing at. In other words, for every $100 in the fund, it will grow by $7.5 in one year.

I hope this helps you understand and solve the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Finding the Value of a Compounded Annuity Fund

What is a compounded annuity fund?

A compounded annuity fund is a financial product that allows individuals to invest a certain amount of money at a fixed interest rate and have the interest earned on that investment reinvested into the fund, creating a compounding effect. This means that the fund will grow exponentially over time as the interest earned is added to the principal amount.

How do I calculate the value of a compounded annuity fund?

The formula for calculating the value of a compounded annuity fund is: V = P(1+r)^n, where V is the final value of the fund, P is the initial investment, r is the interest rate (expressed as a decimal), and n is the number of compounding periods. For example, if you invest $10,000 in a compounded annuity fund with an interest rate of 5% compounded annually for 10 years, the final value of the fund would be $16,288.95.

What factors can affect the value of a compounded annuity fund?

The value of a compounded annuity fund can be affected by several factors, including the initial investment amount, the interest rate, the frequency of compounding, and the length of time the investment is held. Additionally, any fees or taxes associated with the fund can also impact its value.

Are compounded annuity funds a good investment option?

Whether or not compounded annuity funds are a good investment option depends on an individual's financial goals, risk tolerance, and investment strategy. While these funds can provide steady and reliable growth over time, they may not offer high returns compared to other investment options. It is important to carefully consider all factors before deciding if a compounded annuity fund is the right choice for you.

How can I monitor the performance of a compounded annuity fund?

You can monitor the performance of a compounded annuity fund by regularly checking the fund's balance and comparing it to the initial investment and expected growth based on the interest rate and compounding period. Additionally, you can review the fund's performance reports and statements provided by the financial institution managing the fund.