Finding the value of an equation by using its two forms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of limits and how to evaluate them when dealing with expressions involving infinity. It is shown that while some limits can be evaluated by simply plugging in infinity, others require algebraic manipulation or the use of mathematical tools such as the L'Hospital rule. The key is to remember that infinity is not a number and is merely a symbol representing the idea of something growing infinitely large.
Frigus
In Resnick halliday book during finding capacitance of isolated sphere they used equation of spherical capacitor[4πε₀(ab)/b-a,where a is inner radius and b is outer radius.] And took b common and equation becames 4πε₀(a)(1-a/b) and then they put radius of outer sphere infinity and then a/b becomes 0 and equation comes out to be 4πε₀a but if we put b infinity in 1st equation [4πε₀(ab)/b-a] then we can't solve it as infinity over infinity is not 1 but undefined.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_001556.jpg
    IMG_20200627_001556.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 156
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question comes down to: Why is ##\lim_{n \to \infty}\dfrac{n}{n^2}=0##?

We could formally prove it.

Or just think of the ##n## all being natural numbers which can be cancelled. There is no need to divide infinities.

The third possibility is to plot the function ##n \longmapsto \dfrac{n}{n^2}## which will turn out to be the standard hyperbola ##n \longmapsto \dfrac{1}{n}##.

Which of the above would convince you?

Likes Frigus
fresh_42 said:
Your question comes down to: Why is limn→∞nn2=0?
I can't understand how this relates to my question.😅
And it makes sense that ##\frac 1 n## approaches 0 as n approaches infinity

Hemant said:
I can't understand how this relates to my question.😅
And it makes sense that ##\frac 1 n## approaches 0 as n approaches infinity
It is the same principle, I only left out all the factors.
\begin{align*}
\lim_{b \to \infty}\dfrac{4\pi\varepsilon_0(ab)}{b-a}&=\lim_{b \to \infty}4\pi\varepsilon_0a\cdot\dfrac{b}{b}\cdot\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{b}{b}-\dfrac{a}{b}}\\
&=4\pi\varepsilon_0a\cdot \lim_{b \to \infty}\dfrac{1}{1-\dfrac{a}{b}}\\
&=4\pi\varepsilon_0a\cdot \dfrac{1}{1-0}\\
&=4\pi\varepsilon_0a
\end{align*}
##\dfrac{1}{1-\dfrac{a}{b}}## does not equal ##1##, but its limit for ##b\to \infty## does.

Likes Adesh, etotheipi and Delta2
fresh_42 said:
It is the same principle, I only left out all the factors.
\begin{align*}
\lim_{b \to \infty}\dfrac{4\pi\varepsilon_0(ab)}{b-a}&=\lim_{b \to \infty}4\pi\varepsilon_0a\cdot\dfrac{b}{b}\cdot\dfrac{1}{\dfrac{b}{b}-\dfrac{a}{b}}\\
&=4\pi\varepsilon_0a\cdot \lim_{b \to \infty}\dfrac{1}{1-\dfrac{a}{b}}\\
&=4\pi\varepsilon_0a\cdot \dfrac{1}{1-0}\\
&=4\pi\varepsilon_0a
\end{align*}
##\dfrac{1}{1-\dfrac{a}{b}}## does not equal ##1##, but its limit for ##b\to \infty## does.
But how can we put infinity value in equation 4πε₀##\frac {ab}{a-b}## directly,
If we do so then it would become
4πε₀##\frac {∞a}{∞-a}## and we know ∞ × some number is ∞ and ∞-some number is again infinity and we know ##\frac ∞ ∞## is undefined.
Can we solve this equation by just putting ∞ directly?
Thanks

Hemant said:
Can we solve this equation by just putting ∞ directly?
No. This would lead to an expression which is simply not defined. What you can do is use epsilontics to prove the limit, but even then you will probably cancel ##b## for the sake of simplicity.

Likes Frigus
We have an indeterminate form ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## as you say but in this specific case we can remove the indeterminacy either by doing some neat algebraic tricks as @fresh_42 does at post #4, or by using the heavy machinery against indeterminacies like the L'Hospital rule, or even use epsilon-delta method. With either way we can remove the indeterminacy and find the limit which is 1 in this case.

This doesn't mean that all the indeterminacies of the form ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## have limit 1, just this specific one. Other indeterminacies of the same form might have different limit or the limit might not exist, like for example ##\frac{n+a}{n^2}## which has limit 0, or ##(-1)^n\frac{n^2}{n+a}## in which the limit doesn't exist.

Likes Frigus
May I as a naive non-mathematician make a suggestion to Hemant?
Hemant said:
But how can we put infinity value in equation 4πε₀##\frac {ab}{a-b}## directly,
We can't, because ∞ is not a number. It is more a symbol for an idea.

I think (as a non-mathematician) that when someone writes ∞ into an an expression as if it were a number, they are really using it as a shorthand for saying, "the limit of the expression as this number grows very large".
So you get into trouble if you read it as an actual number and start trying to do arithmetic with it.
You can only get away with the shorthand when a simple obvious limit does exist, like ##\frac1n## as n->∞.
If it gives you something dubious, like your ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## then you need to do a bit of manipulation to get something(s) that you can find the limit(s) of.

For me, evaluating something "as n tends to infinity", means working out where that expression is going as n gets bigger. There are tests and rules to make sure it is really going somewhere definite and that you can get as close as you like to the destination.
But there is not a number "infinity" that makes the expression equal to the limit.

Likes Adesh and Frigus
Merlin3189 said:
May I as a naive non-mathematician make a suggestion to Hemant?
If you are a naive non-mathematician then I think I would be an toddler.🙁
Merlin3189 said:
I think (as a non-mathematician) that when someone writes ∞ into an an expression as if it were a number, they are really using it as a shorthand for saying, "the limit of the expression as this number grows very large".
So you get into trouble if you read it as an actual number and start trying to do arithmetic with it.
You can only get away with the shorthand when a simple obvious limit does exist, like 1n as n->∞.
If it gives you something dubious, like your ∞∞ then you need to do a bit of manipulation to get something(s) that you can find the limit(s) of.

For me, evaluating something "as n tends to infinity", means working out where that expression is going as n gets bigger. There are tests and rules to make sure it is really going somewhere definite and that you can get as close as you like to the destination.
But there is not a number "infinity" that makes the expression equal to the limit.
Earlier I thought I have to remember it just as a bare fact but now after this post it makes a lot of sense.
Thanks.

1. What are the two forms of an equation?

The two forms of an equation are the standard form, which is written as Ax + By = C, and the slope-intercept form, which is written as y = mx + b.

2. How do I determine the value of an equation using its two forms?

To find the value of an equation using its two forms, you will need to substitute the given values for x and y into either the standard form or the slope-intercept form and solve for the remaining variable.

3. Can I use either form of the equation to find its value?

Yes, you can use either the standard form or the slope-intercept form to find the value of an equation. However, you may find it easier to use one form over the other depending on the given values and the variables involved.

4. What is the difference between the two forms of an equation?

The main difference between the two forms of an equation is the way they are written. The standard form is written in a more general form and is typically used for solving systems of equations, while the slope-intercept form is written in a way that makes it easier to graph and find the slope and y-intercept.

5. Can I convert an equation from one form to another?

Yes, you can convert an equation from one form to another. To convert from standard form to slope-intercept form, you will need to solve for y. To convert from slope-intercept form to standard form, you will need to rearrange the equation to have all the variables on one side and the constant on the other side.