Work done by moving a point charge

In summary, the potential difference VAB between two points A and B is the work done in moving a unit positive charge from A to B. The work done in moving a test charge q from A to B is WAB = qVAB. First let us assume that the side of the triangle is a and later we can substitute a number for it.
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

[/B]
Three point charges each of 4 µC are situated at the three corners of an equilateral triangle of side 4 m. Find the work done in moving one of them to a point mid-way between the other two.

Solution: The Potential difference VAB between two points A and B is the work done in moving a unit positive charge from A to B. The work done in moving a test charge q from A to B is WAB = qVAB. First let us assume that the side of the triangle is a and later we can substitute a number for it.

VAB = 2 * [q / (4πε0) * (2/a −1/a)] = 2q / (4πε0a) = 72 / s kV

Homework Equations

V = q / (4πε0r)

W = qVAB

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution part of it is shown above. The answer is 72 mJ. I think I understand it but am having trouble convincing myself with regaurds to portion of the solution shown above. I need some conceptual assistance. Here is what I am seeing. Let's make an equilateral triangle with a charge q1 at the origin, q2 at (4,0), and q3 at (2,2sqrt(3))

I believe VA at q3 = 2 * q / (4πε0a) where a is the radius (defined in the solution)

I believe VB at (2,0) when moving q3 down = 2 * q / (4πε0(a/2)) = q / (πε0a)

Then VAB = VB - VA = q / (πε0a) - 2 * q / (4πε0a) = 2q / (4πε0a)

This is the solution I am looking for but I want to make sure my reasoning is sound. My equation is equivalent to but is not set up like the one in the solution. The way the solution shows it in step 1 seems like an odd way to express it.

I am also having trouble convincing myself of this result because q3 is a point charge and not just some test point. I want ta say that there must be a voltage created by q3 and that my math has neglected to account for it.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It is exam day tomorrow and I don't want to blow it on lack of conceptual understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the answer is 72mJ?

CrazyNinja said:
Are you sure the answer is 72mJ?
If it is not; then the solution given by my professor is incorrect. VAB ends up being 18 kV according to the solution.

W = qVAB = 4*10^(-6) * 18000 = .072 J

Is this not correct?

Last edited:
Okay the answer is correct. I made a small mistake. Now, what is your doubt?

CrazyNinja said:
Okay the answer is correct. I made a small mistake. Now, what is your doubt?
It is the setting up of the equation for VAB. Is the method I used to find it good or did I get lucky? I essentially treated a charge as a test charge to find VA and VB, but shouldn't this charge contribute to V as well. After all it has charge equal to the other two.

The math works out so I know I am a bit mixed up conceptually. I trust the numbers more than myself.

Jake 7174 said:
I essentially treated a charge as a test charge to find VA and VB, but shouldn't this charge contribute to V as well.
A charge does not contribute to the field which acts on it. Clearly speaking, it does not exert a force on itself. Hence, there is no potential assosciated with itself.

To avoid confusion, do it by using potential energy instead of setting up the potential as you did. Try it and tell me if you feel comfortable that way. If not, we will try another alternative. Take initial potential energy, final potential energy and get the difference.

CrazyNinja said:
A charge does not contribute to the field which acts on it. Clearly speaking, it does not exert a force on itself. Hence, there is no potential assosciated with itself.

To avoid confusion, do it by using potential energy instead of setting up the potential as you did. Try it and tell me if you feel comfortable that way. If not, we will try another alternative. Take initial potential energy, final potential energy and get the difference.

I think I am good. I feel confident. Thank you

Likes CrazyNinja
Write the exam well. Try a few more problems like this using the potential energy method. Get the theory right, the questions will automatically get answered.

What is work done by moving a point charge?

Work done by moving a point charge refers to the energy transfer that occurs when a point charge, such as an electron, moves from one location to another in an electric field.

What is the equation for calculating work done by moving a point charge?

The equation for calculating work done by moving a point charge is W = qΔV, where W is the work done in joules, q is the charge in coulombs, and ΔV is the change in potential energy in volts.

What is the relationship between work done and electric potential energy?

Work done by moving a point charge is equal to the change in electric potential energy. In other words, the amount of work done is directly proportional to the change in potential energy.

How does the direction of movement affect the work done by a point charge?

The direction of movement affects the work done by a point charge in that work is only done when the charge moves in the direction of the electric field. If the charge moves perpendicular to the field, no work is done.

What are some real-world applications of work done by moving a point charge?

Work done by moving a point charge is an important concept in the field of electronics, as it is involved in the operation of various electronic devices such as batteries, capacitors, and generators. It also plays a role in the functioning of electric motors and the transmission of electricity through power lines.