Finding the Velocity of a Cart at its Highest Point

In summary: So you know that,v_y = 0 at your highest point.Well you should also know that v_x = 0 where "t" is the same as the "t" for your y position.Knowing that, you can solve for time using your knowledge that the y-component velocity equals zero at the needed time. with this value of t you can calculate the x-component velocity.thanksi think i have the answer.
2slowtogofast
A cart is propelled over an xy plane with acceleration components ax=4.0m/s^2 and ay= -2.0m/s^2 . Its initial velocity has components Vix=8.0m/s and Viy12 m/s. In unit-vector notation, what is the velocity of the cart when it reaches its greatest y coordinate?

im confused on how to get this going. Since the cart is at its highest point the velocity in the y direction is 0. could some one help me with the next step of this thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So you know that,

[tex]v_y = f(t) = 0 [/tex]

at your highest point.
Well you should also know that [tex]v_x = f(t)[/tex] where "t" is the same as the "t" for your y position.

Does that help?

Last edited:
no I am still confused

Ok, you already have the necessary x and y components, so you can treat each one like a one dimensional problem right?
Do you know the equations for position/velocity/acceleration as functions of time? If not check out the formulas in in the sticky thread and go back over your textbook.
Once you have the equation for velocity as a function of time, you only need to solve for time using your knowledge that the y-component velocity equals zero at the needed time. with this value of t you can calculate the x-component velocity.

thanks

i think i have the answer i was just wondering if someone could tell me if i am right.

I used the eqn V = Vi + at
because the y velocity at the highest point is zero i used that for V
-12 for Vi
-2.0 for a

and got time = 6 seconds.

then i used the same eqn with this time = to 6 seconds and used 4.0 for a and 8.0 for Vi. All the horizontal inforamtion. I got 32 m/s for an answer.

so in unit vector notation the answer would be 32i +0j = V

Please, would someone explain me how do you know that at its highest point the velocity of the cart is 0 in its y coordinate. Well, i am trying to figure out how do the problem, as it seems easy, but it really isn't. I would really appreciate someone explaining it. Please reply.

Related to Finding the Velocity of a Cart at its Highest Point

1. What is motion in 2 dimensions?

Motion in 2 dimensions refers to the movement of an object in two different directions simultaneously, such as up and down or left and right. This type of motion is commonly seen in projectile motion or when an object is moving in a curved path.

2. How is motion in 2 dimensions different from motion in 1 dimension?

In motion in 1 dimension, an object is only moving in one direction, whereas in motion in 2 dimensions, an object is moving in two different directions at the same time. This means that there are more variables to consider, such as velocity and acceleration in both directions, when studying motion in 2 dimensions.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed in motion in 2 dimensions?

Velocity in motion in 2 dimensions refers to the speed of an object in a specific direction, while speed refers to the overall rate at which an object is moving. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed does not.

4. How does acceleration affect motion in 2 dimensions?

Acceleration in motion in 2 dimensions refers to the change in velocity, or speed and direction, of an object as it moves. In a curved path, the direction of acceleration may change continuously, causing the object to move in a circular or elliptical path. Acceleration can also affect the time it takes for an object to reach a certain position in 2 dimensions.

5. What are some real-life examples of motion in 2 dimensions?

Some real-life examples of motion in 2 dimensions include a ball being thrown in the air, a car driving around a curved road, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a roller coaster moving along a track. These examples all involve objects moving in two different directions at the same time, resulting in motion in 2 dimensions.