Finding the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay

In summary: The final energy of the system is the same as the initial energy because the particle is at rest. The momentum of the system is also zero, which means that the mometym of the gamma ray and pion must be equal and opposite. So the gamma ray has a momentum of -p and the pion has a momentum of +p.
HarryO
Homework Statement
A rho meson, rest mass of 775.5 MeV at rest decays into a pion, rest mass of 139.6 MeV and a gamma ray with 0 rest mass, find the velocity of the pion produced in the decay
Relevant Equations
E=pc
E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4
So I know that the total energy of the system initially is 775.5MeV, because the meson is at rest. Also by conservation of energy I know that the total final energy of the system is the same thing. I also know that the initial momentum of the system is 0 because the particle is at rest. This means that the total momentum of the final state must be 0 as well, which I think means that the mometym of the gamma ray and pion must be equal and opposite. So I get.

Eϒ = pc
p = ϒmπvπ

ϒmπvπ = Eϒ/c

However from here I am stuck because I do not know how to find the energy of the gamma ray.

Physics news on Phys.org
HarryO said:
Homework Statement:: A rho meson, rest mass of 775.5 MeV at rest decays into a pion, rest mass of 139.6 MeV and a gamma ray with 0 rest mass, find the velocity of the pion produced in the decay
Homework Equations:: E=pc
E^2 = p^2*c^2 + m^2*c^4

So I know that the total energy of the system initially is 775.5MeV, because the meson is at rest. Also by conservation of energy I know that the total final energy of the system is the same thing. I also know that the initial momentum of the system is 0 because the particle is at rest. This means that the total momentum of the final state must be 0 as well, which I think means that the mometym of the gamma ray and pion must be equal and opposite. So I get.

Eϒ = pc
p = ϒmπvπ

ϒmπvπ = Eϒ/c

However from here I am stuck because I do not know how to find the energy of the gamma ray.

You need to combine the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of energy.

A systematic way is to use 4-vectors. We have:
$$P_\rho =(E,0,0,0)$$
$$P_\pi =(E',p',0,0)$$
$$P_\gamma= (E",p",0,0)$$

Now use the conservation laws to relate the quantities and don't forget to use:

$$E^2-p^2=m^2$$ or $$P_\gamma+P_\pi=P_\rho$$ for each of above relation.

Here I have taken c=1

Okay thank you! I think I have it now.

1. How is the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay determined?

The velocity of an emitted particle from a decay is determined using the equation v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken to travel that distance. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. What factors can affect the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay?

The factors that can affect the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay include the type of decay process, the mass of the parent and daughter particles, and the energy released during the decay. Other external factors such as magnetic fields and other particles in the environment can also influence the velocity.

3. Can the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay be measured directly?

No, the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay cannot be measured directly. It can only be calculated using the aforementioned equation or other mathematical methods. However, sophisticated particle detectors can indirectly measure the velocity by analyzing the trajectory and energy of the emitted particle.

4. How does the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay compare to the speed of light?

The velocity of an emitted particle from a decay can range from very slow to almost the speed of light, depending on the decay process and the energy released. However, it can never exceed the speed of light, as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. Can the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay change over time?

Yes, the velocity of an emitted particle from a decay can change over time as the particle interacts with its environment. For example, it may be affected by external forces or collisions with other particles. However, the fundamental principles of conservation of energy and momentum ensure that the overall velocity remains constant.