Finding the wave function when given the momentum eigenstate

In summary: There is a difference between a momentum space wave-function and a Fourier transform. A momentum space wave-function is a function of ##x## in momentum space. A Fourier transform is a function of ##x## in space, but it can also be a function of time. Equation 6.28 from the extract you quoted is:$$\phi(p) = \langle p|\psi \rangle$$That's the momentum-space wave-function for state ##\psi##. And this function appears in the Fourier transforms.
tryingtolearn1
Homework Statement
A beam of particles is prepared in a momentum eigenstate ##\ket{p_0}##. The beam is directed to a shutter that is open for a finite time ##\tau##.

a) Find the wave function of the system immediately after passing through the shutter.
b) Find the momentum probability distribution of the beam after the shutter
Relevant Equations
$$\psi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\phi(p)e^{ipx/\hbar}dp$$
For part a, I have the following $$\ket{p_0} = \varphi_{p_0}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}e^{ip_0x/\hbar}$$
but I am totally lost on how to proceed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a diagram or any further information?

I'm confused by this too. ##|p_0\rangle##, I assume, is a single particle wave function, yet it asks about the wave function for a system of an unspecified number of particles.

Where did you get this question?

PeroK said:
Is there a diagram or any further information?

I'm confused by this too. ##|p_0\rangle##, I assume, is a single particle wave function, yet it asks about the wave function for a system of an unspecified number of particles.

Where did you get this question?

Unfortunately there is no diagram. This question is from the book "Quantum Mechanics", by David H. McIntyre on chapter 6 question 3.

I first thought to use wave packets equations $$\psi(x,t) = \int\phi(p)\varphi_p(x) e^{-iE_pt/\hbar}dp$$

Okay, here's a possible interpretation of the problem. You have an initial (momentum space) wave function that evolves for time ##\tau##. What is the wave function at this time?

Will it just be the time evolution $$\therefore \psi(x,t) = \varphi(x)e^{-iE_pt/\hbar}?$$ where ##\varphi(x)## is the initial wave function.

tryingtolearn1 said:
Will it just be the time evolution $$\therefore \psi(x,t) = \varphi(x)e^{-iE_pt/\hbar}?$$
Why use a position-space wave-function?

PeroK said:
Why use a position-space wave-function?
The momentum space will be

$$\phi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\psi(x)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx$$

tryingtolearn1 said:
The momentum space will be

$$\phi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\psi(x)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx$$
That still involves a position-space wave function.

The momentum space wave-function will be the eigenfunction you were given ##|p_0\rangle##.

Why not forget position space? The way you don't think about momentum space when working in position space.

PeroK said:
That still involves a position-space wave function.

The momentum space wave-function will be the eigenfunction you were given ##|p_0\rangle##.

Why not forget position space? The way you don't think about momentum space when working in position space.

Hmm but my book says the following:

Screenshot (83).png

Okay, do the problem in position space then!

If you really don't like momentum space, then don't use it!

PeroK said:
Okay, do the problem in position space then!

If you really don't like momentum space, then don't use it!
But I thought equation 6.29 and 6.30 in the picture is in momentum space? Also, I do want to use momentum space.

tryingtolearn1 said:
But I thought equation 6.29 and 6.30 in the picture is in momentum space? Also, I do want to use momentum space.
What is you initial momentum space wave-function?

PeroK said:
What is you initial momentum space wave-function?
$$\ket{p_0} = \varphi_{p_0}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}e^{ip_0x/\hbar}$$

tryingtolearn1 said:
Ah! So, you want to find the momentum space eigenfunction by Fourier transforming the position-space momentum eigenfunction that you already know!

Okay, I assumed you'd know what a momentum eigenfunction in momentum-space must be.

tryingtolearn1 said:
$$\ket{p_0} = \varphi_{p_0}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}e^{ip_0x/\hbar}$$
That is a position-space wave-function! It's a function of ##x##.

You want a function of ##p##.

PeroK said:
That is a position-space wave-function! It's a function of ##x##.

You want a function of ##p##.
There is nothing in my book that provides a momentum space wave function with a function of only p. All the equations my books has, for the momentum space, has it with a function of x in it so in that respects I don't know what the momentum space wave function should be.

tryingtolearn1 said:
There is nothing in my book that provides a momentum space wave function with a function of only p. All the equation my books has for the momentum space has a function of x in it so in that respects I don't know what the momentum space wave function should be.
That's not true. Equation 6.28 from the extract you quoted is:
$$\phi(p) = \langle p|\psi \rangle$$
That's the momentum-space wave-function for state ##\psi##. And this function appears in the Fourier transforms.

PS McIntyre uses ##\psi## for the state and ##\psi(x)## for the position space wave-function, which suggests a more fundamental relationship between the state and position space. This is misleading, as ##\phi(p)## is just as valid a representation of the state ##\psi##.

PeroK said:
That's not true. Equation 6.28 from the extract you quoted is:
$$\phi(p) = \langle p|\psi \rangle$$
That's the momentum-space wave-function for state ##\psi##. And this function appears in the Fourier transforms.

PS McIntyre uses##\psi## for the state and ##\psi(x)## for the position space wave-function, which suggests a more fundamental relationship between the state and position space. This is misleading, as ##\phi(p)## is just as valid a representation of the state ##\psi##.

Hmm but I quoted earlier that ##\phi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\psi(x)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx## which I know to be the Fourier transform between the momentum space and position space so why isn't that not a momentum space wave function but 6.28 is?

tryingtolearn1 said:
Hmm but I quoted earlier that ##\phi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}\int\psi(x)e^{-ipx/\hbar}dx## which I know to be the Fourier transform between the momentum space and position space so why isn't that not a momentum space wave function but 6.28 is?
Let's start again.

How do you propose to solve this problem?

PeroK said:
Let's start again.

How do you propose to solve this problem?

lol sorry.

The problem asks to solve the wave function for the particle that is prepared in a momentum eigenstate therefore I have to find the momentum space wave function which I initially thought was ##
\ket{p_0} = \varphi_{p_0}(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\hbar}}e^{ip_0x/\hbar}## but that is in the position space so now I am not sure how to proceed

I've re-read the question and, to be honest, I don't understand it. We've had a discussion about momentum space and momentum eigenfunctions, but (useful as that may be in general) that may not help here.

Perhaps someone familiar with McIntyre's book (it gets recommended often enough on here) knows what he's driving at.

Likes tryingtolearn1
The question seems somehow flawed. I don't understand what the author wants to calculate. So here are some remarks:

As it seems to be a book, using the representation independent approach by Dirac, one should clearly distinguish the (abstract) Hilbert-space vectors ##|\psi \rangle## and wave functions in position or momentum space. Given a Hilbert-space vector ##|\psi \rangle## these wave functions are given by
$$\psi(x)=\langle x|\psi \rangle$$
and
$$\tilde{\psi}(p)=\langle p|\psi \rangle.$$
They are related by a Fourier transformation, using the well-known result for the generalized (!) momentum eigen functions in position representation
$$u_p(x)=\langle x|p \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x/\hbar),$$
by
$$\psi(x)=\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} p \langle x|p \rangle \langle p|\psi \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \hbar}} \exp(\mathrm{i} p x/\hbar) \tilde{\psi}(p).$$
The momentum "eigenstate" ##|p_0 \rangle## cannot represent a physical particle state, because it's not square integrable. It's a generalized state. That you always have if you deal with self-adjoint operators with continuous "eigenvalues".

By the formulation of the problem one might guess that what's really meant refers to the following paper

M. Moshinsky, Diffraction in time, Phys. Rev. 88, 625 (1952)
https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.88.625

Likes tryingtolearn1

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a certain position or state.

2. What is a momentum eigenstate?

A momentum eigenstate is a quantum state in which the momentum of a particle is known with certainty. This means that the wave function for this state only has a single value for momentum.

3. How do you find the wave function when given a momentum eigenstate?

To find the wave function for a momentum eigenstate, you can use the momentum operator, which is represented by the letter "p" in mathematical equations. The wave function can be found by applying the momentum operator to the momentum eigenstate.

4. What is the relationship between momentum and wave function?

The wave function and momentum are related through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known, and vice versa.

5. Can the wave function change over time?

Yes, the wave function can change over time. This is because the wave function is a representation of the quantum state of a particle, and the state of a particle can change over time due to interactions with other particles or external forces.