How Do You Calculate the Volume and Weight of Air in a Building?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a building's dimensions, air density, and conversions between metric and imperial units. The solution attempts to find the volume of the building in cubic feet and the weight of air in the room in pounds, but there are errors in the calculations and conversion factors used. Further clarification and corrections are needed.
chocolatelover
Hi everyone,

Could someone please help me with this problem?

Homework Statement

A building is 40.0 m X 20.0 m X 11.0 m. The density of air is 1.20 kg/m^3. (A) What is the volume of the building in cubic feet? (B) What is the weight of air in the room in pounds?

Homework Equations

Density=mass/volume
1kg is about 2lb
V=lhw
1m=3.281ft

The Attempt at a Solution

a. (40.0 m)(20.0 m)=
800.00 m^2
(8.00 X 10^2 m^2)(11.0 m)=
8800m^3

8800m^3(3.281ft/m^3)=
28872.8=
28873 or 2.89 x 10^4 ft^3

b.

m=(1.20kg/m^3)(800m^3)
=960 kg
960kg(2lb/kg)=
1840 lb

Could someone please tell me if this is correct and if not show me where I made my mistake?

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
So, I'll start you on part a. The answer is not correct. Whenever you do calculations, it helps to always include all the units and do the same operations on the units as you do on the numeric part. At the end, look at your units and see if that's what you set out to do. Go back and try the conversion again and look at what you have to do to get ft^3 via calculation.

In part b, where did you get the conversion factor 2 lb/kg? Please recheck that.

Thank you very much

Regards

The weight would just be the volume times the density, right?

Thank you very much

Related to How Do You Calculate the Volume and Weight of Air in a Building?

1. How do you find the weight and volume of an object?

To find the weight of an object, you need to use a scale or balance. Place the object on the scale and record the weight in units such as grams or kilograms. To find the volume of an object, you can use various methods such as measuring with a ruler or using the displacement method, where you measure the amount of water displaced by the object. The volume will be measured in units such as cubic centimeters or liters.

2. What is the difference between weight and volume?

Weight is a measure of the amount of force exerted on an object due to gravity, while volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies. Weight is typically measured in units of mass, such as grams or kilograms, while volume is measured in units such as cubic centimeters or liters.

3. Can you find the weight and volume of irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, you can still find the weight and volume of irregularly shaped objects. For weight, you can use a scale or balance to measure the force of gravity on the object. For volume, you can use the displacement method or formulas specific to the shape of the object to calculate the volume.

4. Why is it important to find the weight and volume of objects?

Finding the weight and volume of objects is important for various reasons. In science, it allows us to accurately measure and compare the properties of different objects. In industries such as manufacturing and transportation, it is crucial for determining the strength and capacity of materials and products. Additionally, it can also help in calculating the density and buoyancy of objects.

5. How can you use the weight and volume of an object to calculate its density?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass (weight) of an object by its volume. The formula is: density = mass/volume. For example, if an object has a mass of 100 grams and a volume of 50 cubic centimeters, its density would be 100/50 = 2 grams per cubic centimeter.