Finding the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions

It's a strange problem statement.In summary, the work done by a force in the direction 2i - 5j + k in moving a particle from (3, 3, 1) to (1, 2, 4) is positive 4.
dan38

Homework Statement

Find the work done by a force acting in the direction 2i - 5j + k in moving a particle from (3, 3, 1) to (1, 2, 4).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just found the displacement vector (2,1,-3) and did the dot product with the force vector.
So my answer as an integer, was negative 4.
Does that sound correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
dan38 said:

Homework Statement

Find the work done by a force acting in the direction 2i - 5j + k in moving a particle from (3, 3, 1) to (1, 2, 4).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just found the displacement vector (2,1,-3) and did the dot product with the force vector.
So my answer as an integer, was negative 4.
Does that sound correct?

The question is somewhat imprecise; the force doesn't just act in that vector direction, it is given by that vector. Force has direction and magnitude - if they only meant that vector to represent the direction, they need to state the magnitude separately.

You got a negative answer because you took the wrong direction for the displacement vector. What is displacement? Is it final minus initial position or vice versa?

oh yeah lol, its final minus initial
so my answer should be positive 4 right?

dan38 said:
oh yeah lol, its final minus initial
so my answer should be positive 4 right?

Yes. Units would be nice, but if you weren't given any for the force and distance, what can you do?

Related to Finding the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions

What is work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions?

Work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions is a way of calculating the amount of energy needed to move an object in a 3-dimensional space. This is done by using vectors to represent the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

How do you calculate the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions?

To calculate the work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions, you would need to multiply the magnitude of the force by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented mathematically as W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is the force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and the displacement vectors.

What units are used to measure work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions?

The units used to measure work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions are joules (J). This is the same unit used to measure work done in standard physics problems.

Can work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions be negative?

Yes, work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions can be negative. This indicates that the applied force and the displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work.

What are some real-life applications of calculating work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions?

Calculating work done using force vectors in 3 dimensions can be used in various fields such as engineering, mechanics, and physics. Some real-life applications include designing structures, analyzing the movement of objects in space, and calculating the energy required for lifting objects in 3-dimensional space.