Finding the x and y components of this vector

In summary, Kevin asked for feedback on his attempt at finding the x- and y-components of a given vector. After reasoning through the problem and using trigonometric equations, Kevin concluded that the x-component is -3 and the y-component is 0. His approach was correct and he was encouraged to continue with his coursework.
kevnm67
Hey guys,

I am not sure I did this problem correctly and would like some feedback. Below is how I reasoned through the problem. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Homework Statement

Find x- and y-components of the vector (3.0 , - x-direction).

Homework Equations

cosθ= A/H
sinθ= O/H

H= -3.0

The Attempt at a Solution

I made two vectors connecting to form a 90 degree angle pointing at the hypotenuse. The other two angles are now 45 degrees and I plugged them into the above equations as follows:
cos(45)=A/-3 = -2.12
sin (45)=O/-3= -2.12

(-2.12)^2 + (-2.12)^2 = -3^2
8.99 or 9 = 9
So X and Y are both -2.12

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I correct in reading that your original vector looks like this:

3 <----------------+

?

If so, I don't see much of a y-component.

lewando said:
Am I correct in reading that your original vector looks like this:

3 <----------------+

?

If so, I don't see much of a y-component.

yes. But isn't that the resultant vector? I solved two other prior to this question and they gave a magnitude and direction. To solve those, I made two vectors and solved for their side of the triangle. Is that not how I should be trying to solve this question? At first I thought it would be 0, but it's not, at least to my understanding, asking for the x and y coordinates of the line drawn above

This problem is a special case where the direction lies exactly along one of the axes, in which case there is no right triangle for you to construct. So your trig functions don't apply.

lewando said:
This problem is a special case where the direction lies exactly along one of the axes, in which case there is no right triangle for you to construct. So your trig functions don't apply.

So does that mean x= -3 and y=0?

That sounds right to me! Good luck with your coursework.

lewando said:
That sounds right to me! Good luck with your coursework.

Thanks for your help!

Related to Finding the x and y components of this vector

What are x and y components of a vector?

X and y components of a vector refer to the horizontal and vertical parts of the vector, respectively. They are used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector in the two-dimensional coordinate system.

How do you find the x and y components of a vector?

To find the x and y components of a vector, you can use trigonometry. The x component can be calculated as the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the vector and the x-axis. The y component can be calculated as the magnitude of the vector multiplied by the sine of the angle between the vector and the y-axis.

What is the importance of finding the x and y components of a vector?

Finding the x and y components of a vector allows us to represent the vector in a two-dimensional coordinate system, making it easier to understand and analyze. It also helps in solving problems involving vector addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication.

Can you find the x and y components of a vector in three-dimensional space?

No, the concept of x and y components only applies to vectors in two-dimensional space. In three-dimensional space, we use x, y, and z components to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector.

How are the x and y components of a vector related to its magnitude and direction?

The x and y components of a vector are directly related to its magnitude and direction. The magnitude of a vector is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of its x and y components. The direction of a vector can be determined by calculating the arctangent of the y component divided by the x component.