Find the Y component of Electric field at a point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a point P due to a thin, vertical rod with a total charge Q. The length of the rod is L and the point P is a horizontal distance x from one end. The electric field is expressed in component notation and the conversation involves finding the x and y components. The final solution will require the use of integral calculus and potentially trigonometric substitution.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

The figure below shows a thin, vertical rod of length L with total charge Q. The indicated point P is a horizontal distance x from the one end of the rod. What is the electric field at point P. Express your answer in component notation in the two blanks below.

L = 5.0 cm, Q = 3.0 nC, and x = 3.0 cm.
physs2.jpg

Homework Equations

kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the x component to be 15000N/C

theta = arctan(5/3) = 59 deg
total charge = [(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((0.03)^2) = 29966
x component = 29966cos59=15417 with sig figs is 15000

so now the y component should just be 29966sin59 = 25685 rounded to 26000 N/C but that doesn't make sense because the y component should be facing down

Attachments

• physs2.jpg
    physs2.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 402
Physics news on Phys.org
even when I did theta = -59 degrees the answer was incorect

isukatphysics69 said:
total charge = [(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((0.03)^2) = 29966
Not all the charge is at distance 3cm from P.

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
Not all the charge is at distance 3cm from P.
So did I just get lucky with the first answer??

im confused

Ok I think I see what youre saying. I got the distance from the top of the rod as
[(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((0.058^2))=7932
7932sin59 = 6800

incorrect

@haruspex

I tried generalizing from the middle

[(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((0.039^2))=17685
(new angle arctan(2.5/3) = 39 deg
17685sin(39) = 11321

incorrect

isukatphysics69 said:
Ok I think I see what youre saying. I got the distance from the top of the rod as
[(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((0.058^2))=7932
7932sin59 = 6800

incorrect

@haruspex
Consider an element length dy at distance y up the rod. What is the charge on it? What field does it generate at P? What is the x component of that?

haruspex said:
Consider an element length dy at distance y up the rod. What is the charge on it? What field does it generate at P? What is the x component of that?
so the charge on dy is kq/r^2 at point P the x component is (kq/r^2)cos(theta)

my x component is correct tho, I thought the y should be simple just sin of the angle @haruspex

isukatphysics69 said:
so the charge on dy is kq/r^2
That s not a charge.
What is the charge on a section of length dy?
If it is distance y up the rod, how far is it from point P?

Last edited:
Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
That s not a charge.
What is the charge on a section of length dy?
Of it is distance y up the rod, how far is it from point P?
would it be dy/3? I am really not understanding. dy is sqrt(y^2+9) away

isukatphysics69 said:
would it be dy/3?
No.
What is the charge density along the rod? If the whole rod length L carries charge Q, how much charge is there on section length dy?
isukatphysics69 said:
dy is sqrt(y^2+9) away
Units! But better still, don't plug in numbers yet, just call it x2, not 9.

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
No.
What is the charge density along the rod? If the whole rod length L carries charge Q, how much charge is there on section length dy?
Is it Q*dy?

Help?

GOT IT! >=[

isukatphysics69 said:
Is it Q*dy?
The charge Q is spread out along a rod length L, what is the charge density (charge per unit length)?

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
The charge Q is spread out along a rod length L, what is the charge density (charge per unit length)?
Then I think it is dQ*dL

I got the answer partial correct 1.8/2 points with the answer -7900N/C

Im confused why I am getting partial credit

[(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((sqrt(.05^2+.03^2)^2) = 7932 taking the negative because +/- sqrt = -7932

1.8/2 points

isukatphysics69 said:
Is it Q*dy?
You seem to be guessing, rather than answering the specific question haruspex asked you.

To ask basically the same thing:
If the length of the rod is 5.0 cm, and the charge on the rod is 3.0 nC, how much charge is on each 1 cm of the rod?
How would you write that using symbols: L for length and Q for the charge?

isukatphysics69 said:
Im confused why I am getting partial credit

[(8.99x10^9)(3x10^-9)]/((sqrt(.05^2+.03^2)^2) = 7932 taking the negative because +/- sqrt = -7932

1.8/2 points
Slow down. You're nowhere near ready to solve this. The solution will require that you use Calculus to do integration.

SammyS said:
Slow down. You're nowhere near ready to solve this. The solution will require that you use Calculus to do integration.
Oh god.. I have to go to physics class right now. I am getting frustrated awith this anyway I have to step away

isukatphysics69 said:
So did I just get lucky with the first answer??
You mean to ask if you got lucky with getting the correct numerical answer for the x component of the leectric field (which is in your "other" thread.)

The answer is absolutely yes, you got lucky.

You used cosine, when what was required there was to use sine.

Both components require the use of integral calculus.

Last edited:
hey @SammyS do I have to use trig substitution?

isukatphysics69 said:
hey @SammyS do I have to use trig substitution?
Most likely you will.

You will first have to come up with a linear charge density and will need to set up an integral.

SammyS said:
Most likely you will.

You will first have to come up with a linear charge density and will need to set up an integral.
omfg I hate doing trig sub thought I was done with that after calc 2 I am really pissed right now

im just going to sleep

linear algebra test tomorrow and 2 programming assignments due there's no way ill get this frikkin degree I don't even have a job right now and I can't even keep up with the work

Im thinking I can use a double integral so that I don't have to do the frikking trig substitution.. plus I took calc 3 in the summer so I should be using double integrals
double integral.JPG

does this look good?

Attachments

• double integral.JPG
    double integral.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 330
isukatphysics69 said:
Im thinking I can use a double integral so that I don't have to do the frikking trig substitution.. plus I took calc 3 in the summer so I should be using double integrals
[ ATTACH=full]230927[/ATTACH]

does this look good?
I can't imagine how a double integral can even be used here. Don't even be concerned about Trig substitution at this point in solving the problem. That integral doesn't correspond to this problem at all.

Let me remind you of the advice haruspex gave you in post #8
haruspex said:
Consider an element of charge with length dy at distance y up the rod. What is the charge on it? What field does it generate at P? What is the x component of that?
To use this idea, you will need to use the linear charge density, usually represented by the variable λ. You can get a value for λ from the given information, but there's no need bother with that yet.

( By the way: It looks like you will not need to use Trig. substitution for finding the y-component. )

Last edited:
I just did the integration and got -140677.0588 and that was incorrect.
I had my integral limits from 0 to 0.05 and ∫(kqy(dy)/(a(x^2+y^2)3/2))

used U substitution and was a pretty straight forward integral. not sure what I did wrong here

isukatphysics69 said:
I just did the integration and got -140677.0588 and that was incorrect.
I had my integral limits from 0 to 0.05 and ∫(kqy(dy)/(a(x^2+y^2)3/2))

used U substitution and was a pretty straight forward integral. not sure what I did wrong here
It's much more helpful to do the integration using symbols. Plug in the numerical values later. There is virtually no way for anyone to look at the result, −140677.0588 and tell what might be wrong with it. It doesn't even have units.

That is pretty close to being the correct integral.
Having ##\ q\ ## there isn't correct. That should be ##\ \lambda\ ##, the linear charge density.
What is ' a ' ? (It's in the denominator.)
For integration limits, 0 to L .​

What do you get for the integral, prior to substituting the integration limits?.

Likes isukatphysics69
SammyS said:
It's much more helpful to do the integration using symbols. Plug in the numerical values later. There is virtually no way for anyone to look at the result, −140677.0588 and tell what might be wrong with it. It doesn't even have units.

That is pretty close to being the correct integral.
Having ##\ q\ ## there isn't correct. That should be ##\ \lambda\ ##, the linear charge density.
What is ' a ' ? (It's in the denominator.)
For integration limits, 0 to L .​

What do you get for the integral, prior to substituting the integration limits?.
I had 'a' as the length of the entire rod, I will try again

This is really frustrating but I am staying calm like a monk

isukatphysics69 said:
I had 'a' as the length of the entire rod, I will try again
Well in that case, that does give you a factor of q/L, which is correct and it's needed because, q/L is λ .

Making that replacement, makes your integral:
∫(kqy(dy)/(L(x2+y2)3/2)) with limits from 0 to L .

In more readable form, using LaTeX that can be written:
##\displaystyle \frac{kq}{L} \int_0^L \frac {y\,dy}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}} \,,\ ## where I factored out the constant factors.​

<h2>1. What is the Y component of electric field?</h2><p>The Y component of electric field is the vertical component of the electric field vector at a specific point. It represents the strength and direction of the electric field in the Y direction.</p><h2>2. How is the Y component of electric field calculated?</h2><p>The Y component of electric field can be calculated using the formula E_y = kqy/r^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the source, y is the distance in the Y direction, and r is the distance between the source and the point where the electric field is being calculated.</p><h2>3. What is the unit of measurement for the Y component of electric field?</h2><p>The unit of measurement for the Y component of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).</p><h2>4. How does the Y component of electric field affect charged particles?</h2><p>The Y component of electric field affects charged particles by exerting a force on them in the Y direction. If the Y component of electric field is positive, the force will be in the upward direction, and if it is negative, the force will be in the downward direction.</p><h2>5. Can the Y component of electric field be negative?</h2><p>Yes, the Y component of electric field can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed downwards and is pulling charged particles in that direction.</p>

1. What is the Y component of electric field?

The Y component of electric field is the vertical component of the electric field vector at a specific point. It represents the strength and direction of the electric field in the Y direction.

2. How is the Y component of electric field calculated?

The Y component of electric field can be calculated using the formula E_y = kqy/r^3, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the source, y is the distance in the Y direction, and r is the distance between the source and the point where the electric field is being calculated.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the Y component of electric field?

The unit of measurement for the Y component of electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) or Volts per meter (V/m).

4. How does the Y component of electric field affect charged particles?

The Y component of electric field affects charged particles by exerting a force on them in the Y direction. If the Y component of electric field is positive, the force will be in the upward direction, and if it is negative, the force will be in the downward direction.

5. Can the Y component of electric field be negative?

Yes, the Y component of electric field can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed downwards and is pulling charged particles in that direction.