Finding Theta Angle of a Pendulum in a Moving Car | Accelerometer Question"

So the vertical component of acceleration, ay, would be 0. The string would therefore make an angle of 0 degrees with the vertical when the car is accelerating at 1.20m/s^2. In summary, the string attached to a small mass hanging from a thin string and attached above a car window will make a 0 degree angle with the vertical when the car accelerates at a constant rate of 1.20m/s^2, as the vertical component of acceleration is 0. This can be determined by applying ƩF = may and ƩF = max equations and knowing that the car is accelerating horizontally.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

A small mass m hangs from a thin string and can swing like a pendulum. You attach it above the window of your car. When the car is at rest, the string hands vertically. What angle θ does the string make when the car accelerates at a constant a=1.20m/s^2?

Homework Equations

I assume a relevant equation is ƩF = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

This is already solved in my book but I was trying to do it by myself[/B]
I know I need to find ƩF = may and ƩF = max

And I know that ƩF = may is FTcosθ -mg=may

And that ƩF = max is FTsinθ =max

My book says that FTcosθ -mg =0, and my question is why? is ay=0? How can I know that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:
My book says that FTcosθ -mg =0, and my question is why? is ay=0? How can I know that?
Presumably the car is accelerating horizontally, not vertically.

1. What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a sensor that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is commonly used to detect and measure movement, tilt, and vibration in objects.

2. How does an accelerometer work?

An accelerometer works by using a mass suspended on a spring to measure changes in acceleration. When the accelerometer moves, the mass also moves, causing the spring to stretch or compress. This change in the spring's length is measured to determine the acceleration.

3. What are accelerometers used for?

Accelerometers have a wide range of uses, including navigation in smartphones and other electronic devices, detecting earthquakes and other seismic activity, and monitoring the movement and vibrations of machinery in industrial settings. They are also used in sports and fitness tracking devices to measure physical activity.

4. Can an accelerometer measure velocity and position?

No, an accelerometer can only measure acceleration. However, by integrating the acceleration data over time, it is possible to calculate velocity and position. However, this method is prone to errors and drift, so it is not as accurate as using sensors specifically designed for measuring velocity and position.

5. Are there different types of accelerometers?

Yes, there are several types of accelerometers, including piezoelectric, capacitive, and MEMS (microelectromechanical systems) accelerometers. Each type has its own advantages and is used for different applications. For example, MEMS accelerometers are commonly used in smartphones due to their small size and low cost.