Can You Calculate Tension and Angle in a Child's Indoor Swing?

• Thread starter fisselt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, We are given a child's indoor swing with a rope of length L anchored to the ceiling and a seat with a total mass of m. The child and seat swing in a horizontal circle at constant speed v, with the rope making an angle θ with the vertical. Using the equations ƩF=mac=m(v2/r) and ƩF=mg, and the known time τ for one revolution, we can find the tension T in the rope and the angle θ. The tension in the rope can be calculated using the equation T=(m(v2/r+g))(cosθ+sinθ), and rearranging this equation would give us θ if needed. By drawing a free body diagram,
fisselt

Homework Statement

A child’s indoor swing consists of a rope of length L anchored to the ceiling, with a seat at the lower end. The total mass of child and seat is m. They swing in a horizontal circle with constant speed v, as shown in Fig. 6-2; as they swing around, the rope makes a constant angle 0 with the vertical. Assuming the time τ for one revolution (i.e., the period) is known, find the tension T in the rope and the angle θ.

Homework Equations

ƩF=mac=m(v2/r)
ƩF=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided the force from the child on the swing would be Ftotal=( ƩF=mg and ƩF=mac=m(v2/r)).
And the tension of the line is Ty= Ftotal cosθ and Tx= Ftotal sinθ

Therefore T=Ftotal(cosθ+sinθ)
where Ftotal=m(v2/r+g)
Rewritten: T=(m(v2/r+g))(cosθ+sinθ)

And, rearranging this equation would give me θ if I so desired.

Am I doing this right??

Thanks for help

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a simple FBD.
In any istant, the (rope tension) x (cos θ) must equal the gravity force.
Do you agree ?
Then you easily have the rope tension.

Since, Tycosθ=mg then Ty=mg/cosθ. Then Tx =m(v2/r)sinθ

Is this correct?

What is "Another Tension problem"?

"Another Tension problem" refers to a common issue in physics where two or more forces are acting on an object in different directions, causing a state of tension or stress.

How does tension affect an object?

Tension can cause an object to stretch, compress, or bend depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on it. In extreme cases, tension can also cause an object to break or deform.

What causes tension in an object?

Tension is caused by the interaction of two or more forces acting on an object. These forces can be applied externally or internally, and their combined effects can cause tension in the object.

How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension force, F is the applied force, and L is the length of the object experiencing tension. The direction of the tension force is always opposite to the direction of the applied force.

What are some real-world examples of tension?

There are many real-world examples of tension, such as a tightrope walker balancing on a rope under tension, a bridge supporting the weight of cars and trucks, or a rubber band being stretched. Tension is also present in the muscles and tendons in our bodies, allowing us to move and perform physical tasks.