Finding Torque within the Human Arm

If you're not sure, check with your instructor.In summary, the arm in the figure has a weight of 37.1N and is acted upon by the force of gravity through point A. Using the given values, the tension force in the deltoid muscle is calculated to be 756N. To find the tension force Fs of the shoulder on the humerus, the components of Fs are resolved and added together using the trigonometry identity. The resulting magnitude of Fs is 349N. By using the arctan function, the angle of tension force Fs relative to the x-axis is determined to be 9.02 degrees, which may be subject to typos and formatting errors in the calculation process.
KakashiT

Homework Statement

The arm in the figure below weighs 37.1N. The force of gravity acting on the arm acts through point A. Assume that L1 = 0.0720m, L2 = 0.300m and α = 11.8deg. Point A is 0.300m away from the pivot point. Fs is unknown angle degree from the horizontal.

a) Determine the magnitude of the tension force Ft in the deltoid muscle.
b) Determine the magnitude of the tension force Fs of the shoulder on the humerus (upper-arm bone) to hold the arm in the position shown.
c) Determine the angle of tension force Fs relative to the x-axis.

Homework Equations

[tex]t = r T \perp[/tex]
Σt =0
F⃗ net=ΣF⃗ =0
(F⃗ net)x=ΣFx=0
(F⃗ net)y=ΣFy=0
[tex] sin^2 \theta + cos^2 \theta = 1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{sin \theta}{cos \theta} = tan \theta [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) This was straightforward. I found the torque at Point A. Because this system is in rigid body equillibrium, the net torque is zero. As a result, I found the tension force in Ft by subbing the r value and the torque into the torque equation. Which came out to be 756 N.

b) To find the tension in Fs, I understood that because the system was in rigid body equilibrium, the net force is zero. I divided Fs into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component was equal to 740 N, while the vertical component was equal to 117.49 N. Once I got the components, I added them together to find the tension force of Fs. Here I used the trigonometry identity: [tex] sin^2 \theta + cos^2 \theta = 1[/tex] so that I could eliminate the unknown angle to solve for Fs. Which came out to be 349 N.

c)This is where I am stuck currently. I used the formula: [tex] arctan\frac{Fs sin \theta}{Fs cos \theta} = \theta [/tex]. I plugged in my values that I found in part B, which give me the answer of 9.02 deg. However my homework site says that this answer is wrong. Even though the previous two parts are considered correct. I do not know what I am doing wrong here.

arctan (117.9/740) = 9.02 deg

Attachments

• serw0818_zpsee908648.gif
    serw0818_zpsee908648.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
KakashiT said:
I divided Fs into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component was equal to 740 N, while the vertical component was equal to 117.49 N. Once I got the components, I added them together to find the tension force of Fs. Here I used the trigonometry identity: [tex] sin^2 \theta + cos^2 \theta = 1[/tex] so that I could eliminate the unknown angle to solve for Fs. Which came out to be 349 N.
If the components are 740 and 117.5 the magnitude of the force must be more than either. Maybe you meant 749? If so, I agree with your answer for the angle.

To find the tension in Fs, I understood that because the system was in rigid body equilibrium, the net force is zero. I [resolved] Fs into its horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component was equal to 740 N, while the vertical component was equal to 117.49 N. Once I got the components, I added them together to find the tension force of Fs. Here I used the trigonometry identity:
##\sin^2\theta+\cos^2\theta=1##
so that I could eliminate the unknown angle to solve for Fs. Which came out to be 349 N.

Was this confirmed as correct?
If 117.49N and 740N are the components of a vector, then shouldn't the magnitude of the vector be bigger than each of these? Typo?

arctan (117.9/740) = 9.02 deg
... it isn't, arctan(117.49/740)=9.02deg - is this another typo?

[edit]There seems to be a number of typos in your writeup above - make sure you are not misstyping your final answer.

Also check the format of the answer - number of decimal places etc... computer mediated marking can get pedantic.

What is torque and how does it relate to the human arm?

Torque is a measure of rotational force, and it is often used to describe the movement and strength of the human arm. The muscles in the arm produce torque to create and control movement.

How is torque generated in the human arm?

Torque is generated in the human arm through the contraction of muscles. When muscles contract, they create a force that acts on the bones of the arm, resulting in rotational movement.

What factors influence the amount of torque produced by the human arm?

The amount of torque produced by the human arm can be influenced by several factors, including the size and strength of the muscles, the angle and position of the arm, and the weight of any objects being held or moved by the arm.

What is the importance of finding torque within the human arm?

Finding torque within the human arm is important for understanding the movement and strength of the arm, as well as for diagnosing and treating injuries or conditions that affect the arm's function. It can also provide valuable information for athletes and physical therapy patients.

How is torque measured in the human arm?

Torque can be measured in the human arm using specialized equipment, such as dynamometers or force plates, which can measure the amount of force produced by the muscles. It can also be estimated using mathematical calculations based on the arm's length, weight, and angle of movement.