Finding vectors parallel to a given vector

In summary, the published answer to the problem gave incorrect unit vectors as the solution for part (b), however the correct notation for a unit vector should only include either an arrow or a caret, not both. The only vectors that are parallel to a given vector and have the same length are the vector itself and its negative. It is possible that the answer may have been cut off and the unit vectors were multiplied in the final step.
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Coordinate form of vector
For (b) of this problem,
1681363361588.png

The solution is,
1681363414521.png

However, I am confused why the two parallel vectors are ##(\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}, \frac{3}{\sqrt{13}})## and ## (-\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}, -\frac{3}{\sqrt{13}}) ## should it not be ##(2,3)## and ##(-2,-3)##. Do somebody please know why they wrote that?

Also I am very confused with this notation
1681363571599.png

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The length of ##\overrightarrow {PQ}## is ##\sqrt {13}##, so they gave a unit vector as the answer. Their notation appears to mean the unit vector in that direction. That is not what the problem asked for.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
However, I am confused why the two parallel vectors are ##(\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}, \frac{3}{\sqrt{13}})## and ## (-\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}, -\frac{3}{\sqrt{13}}) ## should it not be ##(2,3)## and ##(-2,-3)##. Do somebody please know why they wrote that?
Did the published answer to the question give ##(\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}## and ## \frac{3}{\sqrt{13}})## as the answers? If so, these answers are wrong as they did not ask for the vectors to be unit vectors.

The other thing you asked about, PQ with both an arrow above it and a caret (or hat, for a unit vector), is unusual notation, in my experience. Usually, one or the other is used, but not both.

Likes ChiralSuperfields
The only vectors which are parallel to a given vector and which are of the same length as that vector are that vector itself and its negative.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and malawi_glenn
I wonder if the answer was cut off and the unit vectors were multiplied in the final step that is not shown?

Likes ChiralSuperfields
Mark44 said:
Did the published answer to the question give ##(\frac{2}{\sqrt{13}}## and ## \frac{3}{\sqrt{13}})## as the answers? If so, these answers are wrong as they did not ask for the vectors to be unit vectors.

The other thing you asked about, PQ with both an arrow above it and a caret (or hat, for a unit vector), is unusual notation, in my experience. Usually, one or the other is used, but not both.
pasmith said:
The only vectors which are parallel to a given vector and which are of the same length as that vector are that vector itself and its negative.
FactChecker said:
I wonder if the answer was cut off and the unit vectors were multiplied in the final step that is not shown?
Thank you for your replies @Mark44, @pasmith and @FactChecker !

No @Mark44 that is was the only the solution published by the lecturer.

I checked the solution again @FactChecker, and nothing was cut-off, it was just the answer to part (c) of the question.

Many thanks!

1. How do I find a vector parallel to a given vector?

To find a vector parallel to a given vector, you can simply multiply the given vector by a scalar value. This will result in a vector that is parallel to the given vector but may have a different magnitude.

2. What is a scalar value?

A scalar value is a numerical value that is used to scale or resize a vector. It does not have a direction, unlike a vector which has both magnitude and direction.

3. Is the direction of the parallel vector the same as the given vector?

Yes, the direction of the parallel vector will be the same as the given vector. However, the magnitude may be different depending on the scalar value used.

4. Can a vector be parallel to more than one vector?

Yes, a vector can be parallel to an infinite number of other vectors. This is because any vector that is a multiple of the given vector will also be parallel to it.

5. How can I check if two vectors are parallel?

If two vectors are parallel, their direction will be the same and their magnitudes will be proportional. This means that if you divide the components of one vector by the components of the other vector, you will get the same value for each component.