Finding Velocity for Roller Coaster Homework

• Thread starter DanialD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed, potential energy, and kinetic energy at the beginning and end of each segment of a roller coaster for a marble with a given mass and distance. The equations Ek=1/2mv^2, Ep=mgD, v=(root)[2Ek/m], and w=Fapp x D are used to calculate these values, with the help of conservation of energy. The method presented in the conversation is to use the equation Epi + Eki = Epf + Ekf to isolate for Ekf and then use it to find the velocity. This method is deemed correct.
DanialD

Homework Statement

I have a roller coaster with 6 segments. i must find the speed, potential energy, and kinetic energy at the beggining and end of each segment that a marble rolls through.

Lets say that the marble is 8.47kg in mass, and i have one segment of the coaster having a distance of 0.39m.

How do i calculate the velocity, and kinetic energy with those two pieces of information only? Also, do i need to hae the angle of incline to answer these questions?

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2 Ep= mgD v=(root)[2Ek/m) w= Fapp x D

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried finding potential energy, and the work. but didnt know what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello DanialD,

DanialD said:
How do i calculate the velocity, and kinetic energy with those two pieces of information only? Also, do i need to hae the angle of incline to answer these questions?

Well, you're certainly going to have to know the height at the beginning and end of each segment, at least.

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2 Ep= mgD v=(root)[2Ek/m) w= Fapp x D

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried finding potential energy, and the work. but didnt know what to do after that.

Please show us what you have done already, and we perhaps can help more. Let us know more specifically where you are getting stuck. I agree with you that starting with the potential energy would be a good start. Have you completed calculating the potential energies?

Using the equations you have provided, the Kinetic energies shouldn't be too tough to figure out, if you recognize "conservation of energy."

The way in which you determine the speed depends on whether or not you are expected to consider the marble's angular momentum along with the linear momentum. Does your present coursework consider things such as "moment of inertia" or "angular mass"? Perhaps a more simple question, is the radius of the marble given in the problem statement? I'm guessing not, but I just wanted to be sure. So if you can ignore angular momentum (which I am guessing you can), then you have already written down the necessary equations to get the speed, once you find the energies.

Yeah, no its really basic i guess.. here's what i tried, but I am not sure if its right!

i got Epi, Eki, and Epf. i used Epi + Eki = Epf + Ekf to isolate for Ekf...
after that, i used Ekf in the equation of v=(root)[2Ek/m) and found a velocity.
My only question is... does that method work? :s I am not too sure.

DanialD said:
Yeah, no its really basic i guess.. here's what i tried, but I am not sure if its right!

i got Epi, Eki, and Epf. i used Epi + Eki = Epf + Ekf to isolate for Ekf...
after that, i used Ekf in the equation of v=(root)[2Ek/m) and found a velocity.
My only question is... does that method work? :s I am not too sure.

Yes, wonderful! :approve: You've just demonstrated conservation of energy. That's the correct way to work this problem. :cool:

Related to Finding Velocity for Roller Coaster Homework

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a particular direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is displacement, and Δt is time.

3. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of motion. This means that two objects can have the same speed, but different velocities if they are moving in different directions.

4. How is velocity related to roller coasters?

Velocity is an important concept in understanding the motion of roller coasters. The velocity of a roller coaster can affect the intensity of the ride and how it moves through loops, twists, and turns. Calculating velocity can also help engineers design and test roller coasters for safety and thrill.

5. How can I find the velocity of a roller coaster for homework?

To find the velocity of a roller coaster for homework, you will need to know the displacement and time of the coaster's motion. You can use the formula v = Δx/Δt to calculate velocity. It may also be helpful to draw a velocity-time graph or a distance-time graph to visualize the motion of the roller coaster.