Finding Velocity in Simple Harmonic Motion

In summary: As I wrote, that has no bearing on the value of its derivative at that time.In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving velocity but was not successful. He needs to be able to differentiate trig functions and apply the chain rule. Additionally, he needs to be aware of when a variable does not appear in the equation being derived.
xxphysics

Homework Statement

The position of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion is given by x(t)=35cos(10πt), where x is in millimeters and t is in seconds.

Determine the x component of velocity of the particle at t = 0.60 s .

Homework Equations

v = x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly found the x position at time "t" to be 0.035 m (the homework page corrected it to 35 mm). Wouldn't you just take 0.035 and divide by 0.6 to get 0.0583 m/s? I tried that and 58.3 mm/s and they were both wrong. I only have one more attempt at the solution, any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
xxphysics said:

Homework Statement

The position of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion is given by x(t)=35cos(10πt), where x is in millimeters and t is in seconds.

Determine the x component of velocity of the particle at t = 0.60 s .

Homework Equations

v = x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly found the x position at time "t" to be 0.035 m (the homework page corrected it to 35 mm). Wouldn't you just take 0.035 and divide by 0.6 to get 0.0583 m/s? I tried that and 58.3 mm/s and they were both wrong. I only have one more attempt at the solution, any help would be appreciated!
If you are given the position x(t) as a function of time, how do you find the equation for the velocity v(t) as a function of time? :smile:

Likes xxphysics
xxphysics said:
v = x/t
That equation is not correct. The following are correct:
##v_{average}=\Delta x/\Delta t##
##v=\frac{dx}{dt}##

berkeman said:
If you are given the position x(t) as a function of time, how do you find the equation for the velocity v(t) as a function of time? :smile:
Intergrate ...?
would the equation be v = A(1/2*t^2)(cos10πt) ?

xxphysics said:
Intergrate ...?
No, see haruspex' hint..

xxphysics said:
Intergrate ...?
I mean v = A(1/2*t^2)(sin10πt)

xxphysics said:
Intergrate
No. Not integrate either.

Derive then? I'm sorry I'm not really sure what the derivative would be?

xxphysics said:
Derive then? I'm sorry I'm not really sure what the derivative would be?
I do not see how you can solve this problem without being able to differentiate simple trig functions and apply the chain rule. Consult your notes/textbooks.

haruspex said:
I do not see how you can solve this problem without being able to differentiate simple trig functions and apply the chain rule. Consult your notes/textbooks.
I haven't taken calc in three years and my physics book doesn't exactly go over chain rule, that's why I came here for help.
Would you derive with respect to t? v=35*10π*sin(10πt) ?

xxphysics said:
x(t)=35cos(10πt)
xxphysics said:
v=35*10π*sin(10πt) ?
Close! Double check what the derivative of cos(t) is...

berkeman said:
Ahh forgot the negative. v=35*10π*-sin(10πt) thank you! For acceleration would you just take the derivative of that for a = 35*10π*10π* -cos(10πt) ? Or since in v=35*10π*-sin(10πt) the sine function equaled zero and the rest didn't really matter was is supposed to be v=10π*-sin(10πt) in which case the derivative would be a=10π*-sin(10πt) ?

berkeman said:
Also, thank you!

xxphysics said:
a = 35*10π*10π* -cos(10πt) ?
Yes.
xxphysics said:
Or since in v=35*10π*-sin(10πt) the sine function equaled zero and the rest didn't really matter
I do not follow your reasoning. The value of v at some time does not of itself tell you anything about the value of dv/dt at that time. And what "rest"?

haruspex said:
Yes.

I do not follow your reasoning. The value of v at some time does not of itself tell you anything about the value of dv/dt at that time. And what "rest"?
Sorry I thought numbers that didn't have the variable being derived weren't present in the derivation. The reason why you add "+c" to the end of integrations? And since cos(10π*0.6) = 0, whether the rest of the equation was there wouldn't matter since you're multiplying by 0. Anyways thank you :)

xxphysics said:
Sorry I thought numbers that didn't have the variable being derived weren't present in the derivation
Ah, that's what you meant by 'the rest'. Yes, that's right, the only term in the acceleration is the one got by differentiating the sine function wrt time. You do not need to differentiate the coefficients in front of it since t does not feature there.
But you also wrote "since ... the sine function equalled zero" (at time 0, I assume you mean). As I wrote, that has no bearing on the value of its derivative at that time.
xxphysics said:
cos(10π*0.6) = 0
Wrong.

Likes xxphysics
haruspex said:
Ah, that's what you meant by 'the rest'. Yes, that's right, the only term in the acceleration is the one got by differentiating the sine function wrt time. You do not need to differentiate the coefficients in front of it since t does not feature there.
But you also wrote "since ... the sine function equalled zero" (at time 0, I assume you mean). As I wrote, that has no bearing on the value of its derivative at that time.

Wrong.
Meant -sin(10π*0.6) = 0, my bad

xxphysics said:
Meant -sin(10π*0.6) = 0, my bad
Ok.
Are you clear on this now? Do you get the right answer?

Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
Ok.
Are you clear on this now? Do you get the right answer?
Yup! Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which a system or object moves back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a constant period and amplitude.

2. How is velocity related to harmonic motion?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position. In harmonic motion, the velocity of the object is constantly changing as it moves back and forth around the equilibrium point. This change in velocity is what causes the object to oscillate.

3. What is the formula for calculating velocity in harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating velocity in harmonic motion is v = ωAcos(ωt), where v is the velocity, ω is the angular frequency, A is the amplitude, and t is the time.

4. What factors affect the velocity in harmonic motion?

The velocity in harmonic motion is affected by the amplitude and the angular frequency of the motion. A larger amplitude or a higher angular frequency will result in a higher velocity.

5. How does damping affect the velocity in harmonic motion?

Damping is the gradual decrease in amplitude over time in a harmonic motion system. As the amplitude decreases, the velocity also decreases, resulting in a slower motion. In heavily damped systems, the velocity may eventually reach zero, resulting in no motion.