Finding Velocity Using Work-Energy Principle

In summary, the blocks were released from rest from a height of 3.00m, and they moved an equal distance of 9.8m before coming to a stop due to the force of friction. The work done was 19.6d, and the force of gravity was also contributing 1.0d to the total.
Bones

Homework Statement

The system of two blocks is released from rest. The pulley is a solid cylinder of mass 5.00kg and radius of 10.0cm. MA is 10.0kg and MB is 20.0kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between MA and the table is 0.2. Find the velocity of the blocks after moving 3.00m using work-energy principle.

Block A is on a flat surface and block B is hanging. They are connected by a rope over a pulley.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't remember how to do this, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Bones said:
The system of two blocks is released from rest. The pulley is a solid cylinder of mass 5.00kg and radius of 10.0cm. MA is 10.0kg and MB is 20.0kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between MA and the table is 0.2. Find the velocity of the blocks after moving 3.00m using work-energy principle.

Block A is on a flat surface and block B is hanging. They are connected by a rope over a pulley.

I don't remember how to do this, please help!

Hi Bones! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Calculate the work done by the friction force on MA and by gravity on MB.

(and remember that the two blocks, and the rope on the pulley, will have the same speed!)

That will equal the change in KE. :smile:

Work Force of friction: 0.2*98N*(d)(cos180)=-19.6(d)
Change in KE=1/2(20kg)(V)^2-1/2(20kg)(0)

-19.6(d)=1/2(20kg)(V)^2

I don't think I am doing this right...

Bones said:
Work Force of friction: 0.2*98N*(d)(cos180)=-19.6(d)
Change in KE=1/2(20kg)(V)^2-1/2(20kg)(0)

-19.6(d)=1/2(20kg)(V)^2

What about gravity? and KE of the pulley?

mAgh+0.5mAvA^2=mBgh+0.5mBvB^2

(0.2)(98N)(3.00m)(cos180)=(10kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0)+(0.5)(10kg)(vA)^2=(20kg)(9.8m/s^2)(h)+(0.5)(20kg)(vB)^2

I am not sure about the height of mass B. I don't think this is right either...

Last edited:
I think I figured it out. Thanks for your help!

Related to Finding Velocity Using Work-Energy Principle

What is the work energy principle?

The work energy principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its speed or direction of motion.

How is the work energy principle calculated?

The work energy principle can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

What are the units for work and energy?

The SI unit for both work and energy is the joule (J). In terms of base units, 1 J is equal to 1 kg*m^2/s^2.

Can the work energy principle be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the work energy principle can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, rotational, and oscillatory motion. It is a general principle that applies to the transfer of energy in any system.

What are some real-world applications of the work energy principle?

The work energy principle has many practical applications, such as calculating the energy required to lift objects, the force needed to accelerate a vehicle, and the power output of machines. It is also used in designing roller coasters and analyzing collisions in sports like football and car racing.