Finding voltage change for current change for diode

In summary: Just assume it is the same for the test diode for the two test currents. Can you write the two equations and solve them to get the delta-V?V2-V1=VTln(I1/I2) = 0.025 ln (10/0.1) = 115.1 mVI_s is a constant...I_s is a constant...
bl965

Homework Statement

Find the change in diode voltage if the current changes from 0.1 mA to 10 mA. Ans. 120 mV

Homework Equations

V2-V1=VTln(I1/I2)

The Attempt at a Solution

That is all the information given. The only equation I can think to use is the diode voltage/current relationship, but a value for initial voltage is not given. The calculation assuming V1=0.7 V V2=0.025ln(10/0.1)+0.7 = 0.8151.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bl965 said:

Homework Statement

Find the change in diode voltage if the current changes from 0.1 mA to 10 mA. Ans. 120 mV

Homework Equations

V2-V1=VTln(I1/I2)

The Attempt at a Solution

That is all the information given. The only equation I can think to use is the diode voltage/current relationship, but a value for initial voltage is not given. The calculation assuming V1=0.7 V V2=0.025ln(10/0.1)+0.7 = 0.8151.

Thanks for the help.
But the problem statement only asks for the change in voltage, not the final voltage...

berkeman said:
But the problem statement only asks for the change in voltage, not the final voltage...
The only other equation in the section is i = IseV/VT. How would I find change in voltage?

What is the diode equation?

berkeman said:
What is the diode equation?
i = IseV/VT is the only equation and Is is not given.

bl965 said:
i = IseV/VT is the only equation and Is is not given.
I_s is a constant...

berkeman said:
I_s is a constant...
From what i researched it depends on the diodes physical characteristics. The information above is all that is provided. I could not find a constant value for Is.

bl965 said:
From what i researched it depends on the diodes physical characteristics. The information above is all that is provided. I could not find a constant value for Is.
Just assume it is the same for the test diode for the two test currents. Can you write the two equations and solve them to get the delta-V?

V2-V1=VTln(I1/I2) = 0.025 ln (10/0.1) = 115.1 mV ?

bl965 said:
V2-V1=VTln(I1/I2) = 0.025 ln (10/0.1) = 115.1 mV ?
Looks good. The only thing I would change would be to use 25.85mV for Vt (at room temperature). :smile:

1. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a diode?

In a diode, the voltage and current are directly related. As the voltage across the diode increases, the current through the diode also increases. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is the resistance of the diode.

2. How does the voltage change when the current changes in a diode?

The voltage in a diode changes proportionally to the change in current. This means that as the current through the diode increases, the voltage across the diode also increases. Similarly, when the current decreases, the voltage also decreases.

3. Can the voltage change without a change in current in a diode?

No, the voltage in a diode cannot change without a change in current. This is because the two variables are directly related, as described by Ohm's Law. If there is no current flowing through the diode, there will be no voltage drop across it.

4. How can I calculate the voltage change for a given current change in a diode?

To calculate the voltage change for a given current change in a diode, you can use Ohm's Law. Simply rearrange the formula to solve for voltage (V = IR) and plug in the current change and the known resistance of the diode. This will give you the voltage change across the diode.

5. Is the voltage change for current change the same for all diodes?

No, the voltage change for current change may vary for different types of diodes. This is because different diodes have different resistance values, which will affect the voltage change according to Ohm's Law. Additionally, the voltage change may also depend on the temperature and other external factors.