Finding Volume Under Cone Above Disk

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of a solid that lies under the cone z = Sqrt[x^2 + y^2] and above the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 4, using polar coordinates. The solution requires changing variables and using the r and theta values for the inner and outer integrals. However, the incorrect range of r values caused an incorrect solution, which can be corrected by taking r from 0 to 2.
Shaybay92

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid:
Under the cone z = Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]
Above the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 4

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried using formatting but I couldn't get it right so I'll explain...I changed variables by making the upper and lower limit of the inner integral [-2,2], with the outer integral [0,2pi]. The inner integral became integral of r^2 because Sqrt[ x^2 + y^2 ] is r then multiply by the r in r dr d(theta)... So I got

[r^3/3] from [-2,2] which gave me 16/3. I then integrated with respect to theta from 0 to 2pi (is this correct? Is the disk around the origin??) and that gave me 32pi/3 but the answer was the original 16pi/3. This is why I think it should be integrated from 0 to pi but I can't see why because the disk lies in all 4 quadrants.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shaybay92 said:

Homework Statement

Use polar coordinates to find the volume of the given solid:
Under the cone z = Sqrt[x^2 + y^2]
Above the disk x^2 + y^2 <= 4

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried using formatting but I couldn't get it right so I'll explain...I changed variables by making the upper and lower limit of the inner integral [-2,2], with the outer integral [0,2pi]. The inner integral became integral of r^2 because Sqrt[ x^2 + y^2 ] is r then multiply by the r in r dr d(theta)... So I got

[r^3/3] from [-2,2] which gave me 16/3. I then integrated with respect to theta from 0 to 2pi (is this correct? Is the disk around the origin??) and that gave me 32pi/3 but the answer was the original 16pi/3. This is why I think it should be integrated from 0 to pi but I can't see why because the disk lies in all 4 quadrants.

To cover a disk of radius 2 in polar coordinates, r does not go from -2 to 2. By convention in polar coordinates you usually take r nonnegative. Try r from 0 to 2 and theta from 0 to 2pi.

Ah I see, looks like I may need to do work on polar coordinates :/

Related to Finding Volume Under Cone Above Disk

1. What is a double integral under a cone?

A double integral under a cone refers to the mathematical process of finding the volume of a three-dimensional shape that is bounded by a circular base and a curved surface that tapers to a point, known as a cone. It involves calculating the area under a curve on a two-dimensional plane and then integrating that result over the height of the cone.

2. How is the double integral under a cone different from a regular double integral?

The main difference between a double integral under a cone and a regular double integral is the shape of the region being integrated over. In a regular double integral, the region is typically a rectangle or square, while in a double integral under a cone, the region is a cone with a circular base. This requires a different set of calculations and techniques to solve.

3. What is the formula for calculating a double integral under a cone?

The formula for calculating a double integral under a cone is:
V = ∫∫ R f(x,y) dA = ∫∫ D f(r,θ) rdrdθ
Where R is the region of integration, f(x,y) is the function being integrated, D is the polar region, r is the radius, and θ is the angle.

4. What are some real-life applications of the double integral under a cone?

The double integral under a cone has various real-life applications, such as calculating the volume of a cone-shaped container or finding the mass of a cone-shaped object. It is also used in physics to calculate the moment of inertia of a cone and in engineering for designing structures with cone-shaped components.

5. What are some common challenges when solving a double integral under a cone?

One of the main challenges when solving a double integral under a cone is setting up the correct bounds for integration. This involves understanding the geometry of the cone and determining the limits for the variables being integrated over. Additionally, the calculations can become quite complex, so it is important to have a strong understanding of integration techniques and polar coordinates.