Finding Work done under a graph?

In summary, a force of 52.0 N was applied to an object along the x axis, with varying position as shown in the given graph. The work done by this force as it moved the object from x = 0 to x = 15.0 m was found to be 468 J. The method used was to separate the graph into triangles and squares, with each square representing 26 J of work. The final count was positive 26 and negative 8.
juju1

Homework Statement

[/B]
A force acts on an object along an x axis. The force varies with position as shown in the graph below. On the graph, F = 52.0 N. Find the work done by the force as it moves the object from x = 0 to x = 15.0 m.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I tried to do was separate the graph into triangles and squares..and then use it's area (i.e. for triangle i did (1/2 x b x h)

I tried this and it didn't work. So then i tried separating them into trapezoids...still didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

The answers i got were 936 and 1044[/B]

Attachments

• ughppp.PNG
    ughppp.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
If you do a quick count of the squares, what do you get? i.e. How many positive squares and how many negative ones? Meanwhile, how much work does a single square represent?

Why don't you show how you got 936 and 1044. Then we can see if there's a math error or have another suggestion.

ROUGHLY 26 positive and 9 negative

Likes Charles Link
juju1 said:
Now answer my second question=see my post above=I edited it...

magoo said:
Why don't you show how you got 936 and 1044. Then we can see if there's a math error or have another suggestion.

Okay so i separated the 'postive' into 2 triangles and one square. One triangle had a base of 3 height of 4 and the another triangle had a base of 2 height of 4. To calculate the work for each triangle, I used a triangle's area formula. And for the square the base was 4 and height was 4. I used bxh formula.

Did the same for 'negative.' just separated everything

Charles Link said:
Now answer my second question=see my post above=I edited it...
One square does 52 J?

juju1 said:
One square does 52 J?
## F=52 ##, but that is 2 units high. 52 is incorrect.

juju1 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
A force acts on an object along an x axis. The force varies with position as shown in the graph below. On the graph, F = 52.0 N. Find the work done by the force as it moves the object from x = 0 to x = 15.0 m.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I tried to do was separate the graph into triangles and squares..and then use it's area (i.e. for triangle i did (1/2 x b x h)

I tried this and it didn't work. So then i tried separating them into trapezoids...still didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

The answers i got were 936 and 1044[/B]
Hard to say what you did wrong unless you show your workings. You might have goofed on finding areas, or forgot to note that part of the area is negative, or both.

AH so 26 J.

Likes Charles Link
juju1 said:
How does that compare with your more precise arithmetic with the triangles? I get 26 and 8, so your rough count was quite close.

I don't quite get the question you're asking...but I re-did it again, now knowing that it's 26J per square and got 468..

Likes Charles Link
juju1 said:
I don't quite get the question you're asking...but I re-did it again, now knowing that it's 26J per square and got 468..
Very good. What I was asking is, your rough estimate (post 4) was 26 and 9, but what was your exact count with the triangle method? You got the correct answer now, so I presume your exact counts were an area of +26 and the other area was -8.

Ahhhh, I get it. Yes, my exact count was positive 26 and negative 8! Thank you, Charles!

Likes Charles Link

What is work done under a graph?

Work done under a graph refers to the area under the curve on a graph that represents the relationship between two variables. It is a measure of the energy expended or force applied over a certain distance.

Why is it important to find work done under a graph?

Finding work done under a graph is important because it allows us to quantify the amount of energy or force involved in a particular process or system. This can help us understand and analyze the physical phenomena or make predictions about future behavior.

How is work done under a graph calculated?

The work done under a graph can be calculated by finding the area under the curve using mathematical integration. The equation for work is W = ∫F(x)dx, where F(x) represents the force at a particular point on the graph and dx is the displacement.

What factors affect the work done under a graph?

The work done under a graph is affected by the shape of the curve, the magnitude of the force, and the distance over which the force is applied. Other factors such as friction, external forces, and changes in the system can also impact the work done.

Can work done under a graph be negative?

Yes, work done under a graph can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. It represents the energy being taken away from the system rather than being added to it.