How Much Work is Done Moving Fluid Between Two Cylinders?

In summary, the student did 0.154 J of work to move 10 ml of fluid from the "master" cylinder to the "slave" cylinder.
bdumper
A student exerts a steady force on the piston of her "master cylinder" and observes that it moves downward 3.2 cm as 10 ml of fluid moves into the "slave cylinder" and lifts a 500 g mass. She then reverses the roles of "master" and "slave" and places the 500 g mass on the piston of what originally was the master cylinder and finds that a constant force of 21 N is required to move the piston downward 2.3 cm. and return the 10 ml of fluid to it's original cylinder.

How much work (in Joules) did she do in the first case to move 10 ml of fluid from the "master" cylinder to the "slave" cylinder?

I tried using the equation F1/F2=A1/A2 where I put in 21N for F2 and I put in .01L for A1 and A2 but that was not the right answer.

I think I am supposed to use this equation but I must be putting in wrong A values. My train-of-thought was the area is equal to the amount of liquid which was moved from one piston to the other which was 10 ml.

Please help me figure out where I can go from here to solve the equation.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!The correct equation that you should use is W = F x d, where W is the work done, F is the force applied and d is the distance moved. In the first case, the force is the weight of the 500 g mass, which is equal to 0.5 kg x 9.8 m/s2 = 4.9 N. The distance moved is 3.2 cm, or 0.032 m. Therefore, the work done in the first case is 4.9 N x 0.032 m = 0.154 J.

Related to How Much Work is Done Moving Fluid Between Two Cylinders?

1. How do 2 cylinders help with finding work?

2 cylinders can be used to create a simple machine called a hydraulic system, which can be used to lift heavy objects. This can be useful in industries such as construction or manufacturing, where there is a need for manual labor.

2. What are the benefits of using 2 cylinders in the job search process?

Using 2 cylinders can make the job search process more efficient and effective. It allows for the lifting and movement of heavy objects, which can save time and physical effort. This can also open up job opportunities in industries that require the use of hydraulic systems.

3. Can 2 cylinders be used in any type of job search?

2 cylinders can be used in a variety of job search processes, especially in industries that require manual labor or the use of heavy machinery. They can also be used for tasks such as moving furniture or equipment in an office setting.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using 2 cylinders in the job search process?

As with any machinery, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when using 2 cylinders in the job search process. This includes wearing appropriate personal protective equipment and following the manufacturer's instructions for operation.

5. Are there any alternatives to using 2 cylinders for finding work?

While 2 cylinders can be a useful tool in the job search process, there are other alternatives such as using a dolly or hiring professionals for heavy lifting tasks. It is important to assess the specific needs of the job search and choose the most appropriate method for the task at hand.