Finding Work in Joules from a Piston

In summary: In the second case, since the force and distance are given, you can use the same equation to calculate the work done: Work = 21 N x 2.3 cm = 48.3 Joules. Overall, the student did 67.2 Joules of work in the first case and 48.3 Joules of work in the second case.
bdumper
A student exerts a steady force on the piston of her "master cylinder" and observes that it moves downward 3.2 cm as 10 ml of fluid moves into the "slave cylinder" and lifts a 500 g mass. She then reverses the roles of "master" and "slave" and places the 500 g mass on the piston of what originally was the master cylinder and finds that a constant force of 21 N is required to move the piston downward 2.3 cm. and return the 10 ml of fluid to it's original cylinder.

How much work (in Joules) did she do in the first case to move 10 ml of fluid from the "master" cylinder to the "slave" cylinder?

I tried using the equation F1/F2=A1/A2 where I put in 21N for F2 and I put in .01L for A1 and A2 but that was not the right answer.

I think I am supposed to use this equation but I must be putting in wrong A values. My train-of-thought was the area is equal to the amount of liquid which was moved from one piston to the other which was 10 ml.

Please help me figure out where I can go from here to solve the equation.

Thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct equation to use is Work = Force x Distance. You can calculate the amount of work done in the first case by using the following equation: Work = 21 N x 3.2 cm = 67.2 Joules.

Related to Finding Work in Joules from a Piston

1. How do I calculate work in joules from a piston?

To calculate work in joules from a piston, you will need to know the pressure and volume of the gas being compressed or expanded by the piston, as well as the change in volume. The formula for work is W = PΔV, where P is pressure and ΔV is the change in volume.

2. What is the importance of finding work in joules from a piston?

Finding work in joules from a piston is important in understanding the energy transfer and efficiency of a system. It can also be used to determine the power output of an engine or the amount of work needed to compress a gas.

3. Can work in joules from a piston be negative?

Yes, work in joules from a piston can be negative. This occurs when the gas is expanding and the work is being done by the system instead of on the system. Negative work can also indicate that the system is losing energy.

4. How does the temperature of the gas affect the work in joules from a piston?

The temperature of the gas can affect the work in joules from a piston through its impact on the pressure and volume of the gas. An increase in temperature can result in a higher pressure and/or volume, leading to a greater amount of work being done by or on the gas.

5. Are there any real-world applications for calculating work in joules from a piston?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for calculating work in joules from a piston. This includes analyzing the efficiency of engines, predicting the performance of compressors and pumps, and understanding the energy transfer in various industrial processes.