Finding work with given horsepower

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the height a crate can be lifted in 5 seconds using an electric motor with a power output of 2.75 x 10^5 fp. The solution involves converting fp to hp and then to watts, finding the weight of the crate, and using the formula W = Pt to calculate the height. The final answer is 81,405 meters.
joel amos

Homework Statement

If one ferretpower (fp, made-up unit) is equal to 0.0312 hp, and an electric motor puts out 2.75 x 10^5 fp, how high (in meters) can it lift a crate that has a mass of 2.75 slugs in 5 s?

Homework Equations

P = W/t W = mgh
1 hp = 745.7 watts
1 slug = 14.59 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Converted fp to hp to get 8,580 hp. Converted hp to watts to get 6,398,106 watts. Found weight of crate to be 40.1 kg. Used W = Pt to get 31,990,530 J. Used W/mg = h to get my final answer of 81,405 m. Is this the same answer you got?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what is your question? Your process looks correct but do you really have a 8580 hp motor?

My teacher's numbers tend to be quite stupid. Thanks for the reply.

1. How do I determine my horsepower?

To determine your horsepower, you can use a dynamometer or a horsepower calculator. These tools measure the power output of an engine or motor and can provide an accurate measurement of your horsepower.

2. What types of jobs can I find with a given horsepower?

The types of jobs you can find with a given horsepower will vary depending on the industry you are interested in. Generally, higher horsepower can be beneficial for jobs that require heavy lifting, such as construction or transportation. However, there are also many office jobs that may only require minimal horsepower.

3. How do I showcase my horsepower to potential employers?

You can showcase your horsepower to potential employers by including it on your resume or CV, providing examples of projects or tasks where you have utilized your horsepower, and highlighting any relevant skills or experience that demonstrate your horsepower.

4. Can I improve my horsepower?

Yes, you can improve your horsepower through training, education, and practice. Learning new skills and techniques, as well as regularly using your horsepower in various tasks, can help you increase your overall horsepower and make you more competitive in the job market.

5. How does horsepower relate to salary and job opportunities?

Horsepower can have a significant impact on salary and job opportunities. Generally, jobs that require higher horsepower may offer higher salaries, as they often involve more physically demanding work. Additionally, having a higher horsepower can make you more qualified for certain job opportunities and give you a competitive edge in the job market.