The Power Needed to Accelerate

In summary, the conversation is about trying to calculate the power needed for a motor to move a mass a certain distance in a given time. The calculations yield a discrepancy compared to a real-world scenario, where a much higher power is needed. The issue is identified as the difference between average power and maximum power. The conversation then delves into the use of kinematic equations and the need to work with differential forms to solve for position as a function of time. Finally, the OP is asked to clarify if the motor generates a constant power or if it has a power curve.
Aeronautician

Homework Statement

Hi, guys. I'm in a bit of a quandary. I'm trying to calculate the power a motor should have in order to move a mass a certain distance. My calculation keeps telling me that the horsepower output is much lower than my reference scenario. Here's the situation. I'm trying to figure out how to accelerate a 1633 kg object a distance of 2 m in 1 sec.
m = 1633 kg
d = 2 meters
t = 1 sec

Homework Equations

F=ma
P=F(d/t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration is thus 2 m/(s^2). According to F=ma, F = 3266 Newtons. Plugging this into P=F(d/t), where d=2m, t=1 sec, Power needed = 6532 Watts or approx 8.8 hp. The problem is in a similar situation, a 215 hp propulsion system is needed to provide the thrust to accelerate and sustain a mass of 95 kg above ground. Where is this discrepancy coming from? My calculations clearly do not correlate with the already established real world scenario. Can I get some direction in this issue?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the kinematic motion equations
to solve for acceleration. Your formula for power yields average power, not max power at the 2 meter mark

Likes Zachary Kempler
+1. The required acceleration is not 2m/s^2.

If the acceleration is constant the power isn't constant and the max power will occur at max velocity.

Aeronautician said:
trying to calculate the power a motor should have
Turning around the preceding responses, your situation is constant power, so not constant acceleration.
The SUVAT equations will therefore not apply. You need to work instead with the more general differential forms.
Work done in time t ##=Pt=\frac 12 mv^2##. Can you solve to find position as a function of time?

Perhaps we need the OP to clarify...

Does the motor generate a constant power? Does it have a power vs velocity or rpm curve?

What is "The Power Needed to Accelerate"?

"The Power Needed to Accelerate" refers to the amount of energy required to increase the speed of an object.

How is the power needed to accelerate calculated?

The power needed to accelerate can be calculated using the formula P = F × v, where P represents power, F represents force, and v represents velocity.

What factors affect the power needed to accelerate?

The power needed to accelerate is affected by the mass of the object, the force applied, and the distance over which the force is applied. It is also affected by external factors such as air resistance and friction.

Why is the power needed to accelerate important?

The power needed to accelerate is important because it helps determine the amount of energy required to move objects and can impact the efficiency of machines and vehicles.

How does the power needed to accelerate relate to Newton's Second Law of Motion?

The power needed to accelerate is directly related to Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied, the more power is needed to accelerate an object, and the heavier the object, the more power is needed to accelerate it.