Finding |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ

In summary, the probability that an electron emerging from the plus channel of the first device will end up in the minus channel of the second device is 50% regardless of θ. This is based on the outcome probability rule, which states that the probability of a result is the absolute square of the inner product of the quanton's original state and the result's eigenvector. The solution involves using basic algebra to correctly simplify the expression and construct the appropriate spin state vector.
NanoChrisK

Homework Statement

Picture 2.jpg

What is the probability that an electron emerging from the plus channel of the first device will end up in the minus channel of the second device? Express your answer in terms of θ. (Refer to the attached image)

Homework Equations

This uses the outcome probability rule that says that "In an experiment that determines the value of an observable, the probability of any given result (i.e., the probability that the quanton's state will collapse to that result's eigenvector) is the absolute square of the inner product of the quanton's original state and the result's eigenvector" (From "Six Ideas that Shaped Physics: Unit Q" by Thomas A. Moore pp. 103")

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2014-10-11_22-35-45.png

This is saying that the result will be 50% regardless of θ. This can't be right. Graphing 1/2(sinθ/2-cosθ/2)^2 gives a probability between 0% and 100%, which I would expect, but that's not what I get when I simplify it.

I suspect I've done something wrong when I've said sin^2(1/2*θ)+cos^2(1/2*θ)=1, but if the values inside sin^2 and cos^2 are the same, why can't I just say sin^2(A)+cos^2(A)=1?

On a side note: The second part of the question asks what the quanton's spin state vector would be after leaving the second device. I believe I would use the superposition rule to find this out, but I'm not sure. But I can put that in a different thread if I can't figure it out.

UPDATE:

Ok, I think I've found the solution. I was implying that (A-B)^2=A^2+B^2, which was INCORRECT!. I guess the problem is that I need to re-take basic algebra. Here my new attempt:
upload_2014-10-12_1-3-55.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Your updated solution looks correct to me, assuming you have constructed the ##\left|-\theta\right>## ket correctly (I can't recall the results well enough to know if you have a minus sign missing or something like that).

1. What is the purpose of finding |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ?

The purpose of finding |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ is to determine the magnitude of the difference between the actual value of y and the value of y shifted by an angle θ. This can help in analyzing and understanding the relationship between the two values.

2. How is |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ calculated?

The calculation of |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ involves taking the absolute value of the difference between y and the value of y shifted by θ, and then squaring the result.

3. What does a higher value of |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ indicate?

A higher value of |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ indicates a larger difference between the two values, suggesting a stronger relationship between them.

4. Can |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ be negative?

No, |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ will always be a positive value because the absolute value and squaring operations result in a positive number.

5. How does the value of θ affect the magnitude of |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ?

The value of θ directly affects the magnitude of |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ. As θ increases, the difference between y and y shifted by θ also increases, resulting in a larger value for |<+y|-θ>|^2 in terms of θ.