Spin probability of a particle state

In summary, to find the probability of getting one of the states, it is important to consider the sum of their probabilities, which will always be equal to 1. Additionally, representing the states ##|\pm \textbf{z}\rangle## as a superposition of other states is not necessary. Using the modulus squared of a complex number, the probability can be calculated without any imaginary factors.
Zack K
Homework Statement
Suppose that a measurement of ##S_x## is carried out on a particle in the state ##|\textbf{+n}\rangle##. What is the probability that the measurement yields (i) ##\frac{\hbar}{2}## (ii) ##\frac{-\hbar}{2}##?
Relevant Equations
##|\textbf{+n}\rangle = cos\frac{\theta}{2}|+\textbf{z}\rangle + e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}|-\textbf{z}\rangle##
Starting with finding the probability of getting one of the states will make finding the other trivial, as the sum of their probabilities would be 1.

Some confusion came because I never represented the states ##|\pm \textbf{z}\rangle## as a superposition of other states, but I guess you would not need to.

My attempt:$$\langle+\textbf{x}|+\textbf{n}\rangle=cos\frac{\theta}{2}\langle+\textbf{x}|+\textbf{z}\rangle + e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}\langle+\textbf{x}|-\textbf{z}\rangle$$

Since ##|\textbf{x}\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|+\textbf{z}\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|-\textbf{z}\rangle## has only real parts, the bra vector coefficients look the same so then ## \langle+\textbf{x}|\pm\textbf{z}\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##. Therefore we get

$$\langle+\textbf{x}|+\textbf{n}\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}cos\frac{\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}$$

The probability is this expression squared, which expands into

$$\frac{1}{2}\left(cos^2\frac{\theta}{2}+sin(2\theta)cos(\phi)+sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}cos(2\theta)+i(sin^2\frac{\theta}{2}sin(2\phi)+sin(2\theta)sin(\phi))\right)$$

The answer is given as ##\frac{1}{2}(1+sin(\theta)cos(\phi))##

I have plugged in some values of theta and phi and my answer and that of the textbook evaluated to the same answer, though I am still skeptical on my answer. I cannot see how I could reduce this, I have tried using wolframalpha to no luck. Though I am more interested in knowing if my steps were correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Zack K said:
Homework Statement:: Suppose that a measurement of ##S_x## is carried out on a particle in the state ##|\textbf{+n}\rangle##. What is the probability that the measurement yields (i) ##\frac{\hbar}{2}## (ii) ##\frac{-\hbar}{2}##?
Relevant Equations:: ##|\textbf{+n}\rangle = cos\frac{\theta}{2}|+\textbf{z}\rangle + e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}|-\textbf{z}\rangle##

Starting with finding the probability of getting one of the states will make finding the other trivial, as the sum of their probabilities would be 1.

Some confusion came because I never represented the states ##|\pm \textbf{z}\rangle## as a superposition of other states, but I guess you would not need to.

My attempt:$$\langle+\textbf{x}|+\textbf{n}\rangle=cos\frac{\theta}{2}\langle+\textbf{x}|+\textbf{z}\rangle + e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}\langle+\textbf{x}|-\textbf{z}\rangle$$

Since ##|\textbf{x}\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|+\textbf{z}\rangle + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|-\textbf{z}\rangle## has only real parts, the bra vector coefficients look the same so then ## \langle+\textbf{x}|\pm\textbf{z}\rangle =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##. Therefore we get

$$\langle+\textbf{x}|+\textbf{n}\rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}cos\frac{\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}$$

The modulus squared of a complex number ##w## is given by ##|w|^2 = ww^*##, where ##w^*## is the complex conjugate. The resulting expression is real and cannot have a factor of ##i## in it.

What is the complex conjugate of
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}cos\frac{\theta}{2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{i\phi}sin\frac{\theta}{2}$$

Likes Zack K, Abhishek11235 and DrClaude

What is spin probability?

Spin probability is a measure of the likelihood that a particle will have a certain spin state when measured. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and is described by a mathematical equation.

How is spin probability calculated?

Spin probability is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function of a particle changes over time. The equation takes into account the particle's spin state and other properties such as its momentum and energy.

What is the difference between spin probability and spin angular momentum?

Spin probability and spin angular momentum are related but distinct concepts. Spin probability refers to the likelihood of a particle having a certain spin state, while spin angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of a particle.

How does spin probability affect the behavior of particles?

Spin probability plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles, as it affects how they interact with each other and with external forces. The spin state of a particle can also determine its stability and decay rate.

Can spin probability be measured directly?

No, spin probability cannot be measured directly. Instead, it is inferred from other measurements, such as the results of particle collisions or the magnetic properties of a particle. However, the predictions of the Schrödinger equation have been confirmed through experiments, providing evidence for the existence of spin probability.