Finding yield strength with modulus of elasticity

In summary, the conversation is about the E modulus of two different grades of steel. The first grade, 1020 Steel, has a yield strength of 42ksi and an E modulus of 30 mpsi. The second grade has a yield strength of 132 ksi, but there is not enough information given to determine its E modulus. The equation used to calculate the E modulus is E=FL/EA, but for a purely tensile loading, the equation is δ = FL/AE. It is noted that this may be a trick question as the E modulus may not always be the same for all grades of steel.
nlipshutz

Homework Statement

Grade 1020 Steel has a yield strength of 42ksi and E modulus of 30 mpsi. Another grade of steel has yield strength 132 ksi. What is its E modulus?

Homework Equations

E=FL/EA

This is the equation i should be using to find e modulus I thing

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how there are enough variables to find the E modulus, and I thought since all steel is primarily composed of iron that the e modulus would always be the same.Thanks in advance for any advice. I am a freshman studying mechanical engineering, this is my first post here. This seems like a great site!

Physics news on Phys.org
nlipshutz said:

Homework Statement

Grade 1020 Steel has a yield strength of 42ksi and E modulus of 30 mpsi. Another grade of steel has yield strength 132 ksi. What is its E modulus?

Homework Equations

E=FL/EA

This is the equation i should be using to find e modulus I thing

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how there are enough variables to find the E modulus, and I thought since all steel is primarily composed of iron that the e modulus would always be the same.Thanks in advance for any advice. I am a freshman studying mechanical engineering, this is my first post here. This seems like a great site!

Your equation doesn't make sense. For a purely tensile loading, however, the deflection δ = FL/AE

This appears to be a trick question, insofar as E is concerned.

1. How is yield strength related to modulus of elasticity?

The yield strength is directly related to the modulus of elasticity. The modulus of elasticity, also known as Young's modulus, is a measure of the stiffness or rigidity of a material. The higher the modulus of elasticity, the stiffer the material will be. This means that a material with a higher modulus of elasticity will have a higher yield strength, as it requires more force to cause permanent deformation.

2. Can modulus of elasticity be used to predict yield strength?

Yes, modulus of elasticity can be used to predict yield strength. This is because, as mentioned before, the two are directly related. By knowing the modulus of elasticity of a material, you can estimate its yield strength. However, other factors such as material composition and manufacturing processes may also affect the yield strength.

3. How is the modulus of elasticity measured?

The modulus of elasticity is typically measured using tensile testing. This involves applying a force to a material in a controlled manner until it breaks, and measuring the amount of deformation that occurs. The modulus of elasticity is then calculated by dividing the stress (force applied per unit area) by the strain (amount of deformation).

4. Can yield strength be higher than modulus of elasticity?

No, yield strength cannot be higher than modulus of elasticity. This is because yield strength is a measure of the maximum stress a material can withstand before permanent deformation occurs. The modulus of elasticity, on the other hand, is a measure of the material's stiffness and is not affected by the amount of stress applied.

5. How does temperature affect the relationship between yield strength and modulus of elasticity?

Temperature can affect the relationship between yield strength and modulus of elasticity. In general, an increase in temperature can cause a decrease in both yield strength and modulus of elasticity. This is because higher temperatures can cause materials to become more ductile and less stiff. However, the exact effect of temperature on these properties can vary depending on the type of material and its composition.