Finite series and product of Gammas

This approach can also be used to find the constant factor 2/3, and it's also possible to do the same thing with the help of the functional equation of the Gamma function. The latter may be the intended solution of the given exercise.)In summary, the given series can be rewritten as a product of two terms, one of which is the infamous Madhava-Gregory-Leibniz series for ##\pi / 4##. It is also equivalent to a binomial transform of a sequence found in OEIS, and can be expressed as a recursion or an induction problem. It is also related to the functional equation of the Gamma function.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
In reviewing some calculations, I've arrived at the series:

##S(d)=-\frac 1 {d-1}+\frac 1 2 \frac{d-2}{d-3}-\frac 1 8 \frac{(d-2)(d-4)}{d-5}+\frac 1 {48} \frac{(d-2)(d-4)(d-6)}{d-7}+\dots ##

Its an infinite series but because I'm interested in its values for even ##d##s, its actually a finite series at each evaluation. Its values are:

## \begin{array}{c|ccccc} d \ \ \ &2 \ \ \ &4 \ \ \ &6 \ \ \ &8 \ \ \ &10 \ \ \ &12 \\\hline S(d) \ \ \ &-1 \ \ \ &\frac 2 3 \ \ \ &-\frac 8 {15} \ \ \ &\frac{16}{35} \ \ \ &-\frac{128}{315} \ \ \ &\frac{256}{693}\end{array} ##

But the interesting fact is that the expression ## G(d)=\frac{\Gamma(\frac d 2)\Gamma(\frac{1-d}2)}{2 \sqrt \pi} ## has the exact same values for at least the above values of ##d##. So it seems that I should be able to prove that ##S(d)=G(d)##. But I have no idea how to do it. At first I tried to somehow write the series in terms of the Hypergeometric function, but that is both impossible and useless. So, any ideas?

EDIT: Another evidence is that both ##S(d)## and ##G(d)## are singular for odd ##d##s.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Just for all who like to solve this riddle like me, the statement is equivalent to:
$$
- \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k!} \cdot \frac{1}{2n-(2k+1)}\cdot \prod_{i=1}^{k}(n-i) = \frac{n!(n-1)!}{2(2n)!}\cdot (-4)^n = (-1)^n \cdot \frac{2^{2n}}{(2n)\binom{2n}{n}}
$$

Last edited:
The denominators also appear in the series expansion of ##(1-x)^{-3/2}##.

OEIS sequence. We even get the numerators there with this interesting comment:
A046161(n)/a(n) = 1, 2/3, 8/15, 16/35, 128/315, 256/693, ... is binomial transform of Madhava-Gregory-Leibniz series for Pi/4 (i.e., 1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ... ).

fresh_42 said:
Just for all who like to solve this riddle like me, the statement is equivalent to:
It should be ...(n-2i)...

Anyway, are you guys saying that this is a famous unsolved problem?

ShayanJ said:
Can you give more terms?
ShayanJ said:
Anyway, are you guys saying that this is a famous unsolved problem?
Who is saying that?

ShayanJ said:
No. The factor ##2## has been canceled by setting ##d=2n##. (It's also missing in ##2 \cdot 4 \cdot \ldots \cdot 2k##)
Also, can you give a reference for the RHS expressions?
I took the formulas from the German Wiki page of the Gamma function.

mfb said:
Can you give more terms?
Never mind, he clarified.

mfb said:
Who is saying that?
I just got that impression, specially because of your post since I'm not quite sure how you could find that information without previous knowledge of the problem.

I searched for the first denominators on OEIS, then calculated more using fresh's formula to find the right sequence, and confirmed it via the given formulas there.

I don't know, whether it's already obvious to you, but in any case and for the records: with an induction argument (or simply a recursion on the right hand side), it boils down to show
$$ - \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{k}}{k!} \cdot \frac{1}{d-(2k+1)}\cdot \prod_{i=1}^{k}(\frac{d}{2}-i) = (-1)^{\frac{d}{2}} \cdot \frac{2}{3} \cdot \frac{4}{5} \cdot \frac{6}{7} \cdot \ldots \cdot \frac{d-2}{d-1}
$$
which itself can very likely be shown by another induction.

1. What is a finite series?

A finite series is a sequence of numbers that has a specific number of terms, where each term is related to the previous term by a common difference or ratio. The series ends after a certain number of terms.

2. What is a product of Gammas?

A product of Gammas, also known as the Gamma function, is a mathematical function that extends the concept of factorial to real and complex numbers. It is denoted by the Greek letter Γ and is defined as the integral of the exponential function.

3. What is the significance of finite series and product of Gammas in mathematics?

Finite series and product of Gammas have several applications in mathematics, including in probability theory, statistics, and number theory. They are also used in solving differential equations and in the study of special functions.

4. How do you calculate a finite series?

To calculate a finite series, you can use the formula S = (n/2)(a + l), where S is the sum of the series, n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term. Alternatively, you can also use the formula S = (n/2)(2a + (n-1)d), where d is the common difference or ratio.

5. Can finite series and product of Gammas be used in real-life applications?

Yes, finite series and product of Gammas have many real-life applications, such as in calculating probabilities, analyzing data in statistics, and in the fields of physics and engineering. They are also used in finance and economics, particularly in the study of interest rates and compound interest.