Firing a bullet into a bock suspended by a string Help

In summary: So you get 491 m/s using kinetic energy and a method that uses the height of the block to find the bullet's momentum.
StonedPhysicist
Hey guys apparently the answer to this is 491 m/s, but i keep getting 34m/s by using a method whereby i find out the height reached by the block then using kinetic energy to potential energy... doesn't seem to work tho! Please help!

A 50.0 g bullet is fired into a stationary 10.0 kg block suspended on a light inextensible wire of length 1.3 m. If the bullet becomes fully embedded in the block, and the bullet-block system reaches a maximum angle of 40.0◦, find the initial velocity of the bullet.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\delta h## is given by 1.3-1.3cos(40), and ##g\delta h = \frac{1}{2} v_i^2## (conservation of energy, where ##v_i## is the initial velocity of the block+bullet). The total momentum before and after the collision stays the same as well, so you should be able to figure out why the velocity of the bullet had a magnitude of approximately 491 m/s before the collision.

Show your work, and it will make it easier to see what's going on.

PWiz said:
##\delta h## is given by 1.3-1.3cos(40), and ##g\delta h = \frac{1}{2} v_i^2## (conservation of energy, where ##v_i## is the initial velocity of the block+bullet). The total momentum before and after the collision stays the same as well, so you should be able to figure out why the velocity of the bullet had a magnitude of approximately 491 m/s before the collision.
I am pretty sure i did this method, and ended up with a result of 34m/s, not sure that method can work for some reason

@StonedPhysicist The method worked just fine for me. Why don't you show your working? As Bystander said, it would make things much easier.

using v=√((2(m+M)gh)/m) , where m=0.05 kg M=10kg g=9.81 and h = 0.3...m i get 34m/s?

Why are you taking a square root for m as well?

PWiz said:
Why are you taking a square root for m as well?
i am just rearranging (m+M)gh=1/2 mv2

The kinetic energy should be given by ##\frac{1}{2} (M+m) v^2##. The gain in PE of the block+bullet equals to the KE the block+bullet possessed right after collision. The equation resolves to what I previously provided. So applying conservation of momentum, we get ##mv_1=Mv_2## , so ##v_1=\frac{M}{m} \sqrt{2g\delta h}## .

PWiz said:
The kinetic energy should be given by ##\frac{1}{2} (M+m) v^2##. The gain in PE of the block+bullet equals to the KE the block+bullet possessed right after collision. The equation resolves to what I previously provided. So applying conservation of momentum, we get ##mv_1=Mv_2## , so ##v_1=\frac{M}{m} \sqrt{2g\delta h}## .
ah I see now! thankyou!

StonedPhysicist said:
I am pretty sure i did this method
No you didn't. As PWiz wrote, you use the energy equation to find the speed of block+bullet just after impact. There is work loss in the impact so you cannot use energy to relate it back to the speed of the bullet before impact. You have to use conservation of momentum for that.

Edit: I see you figured it out as I was typing.

Related to Firing a bullet into a bock suspended by a string Help

1. How does the speed of the bullet affect the motion of the block?

The speed of the bullet affects the motion of the block by creating a greater force upon impact. This force causes the block to move more quickly and with more force.

2. What happens to the block when the bullet hits it?

When the bullet hits the block, it will transfer its momentum to the block, causing it to move in the direction of the bullet's trajectory. The block will swing back and forth until friction and air resistance slow it down.

3. Does the length of the string affect the motion of the block?

Yes, the length of the string does affect the motion of the block. A longer string will allow the block to swing back and forth for a longer period of time, while a shorter string will cause the block to swing back and forth more quickly.

4. How does the weight of the block affect the experiment?

The weight of the block affects the experiment by determining how much force is needed to move the block. A heavier block will require more force to move, while a lighter block will require less force.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the results?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the results, such as the type and caliber of the gun used, the type of string used, and the distance between the gun and the block. Other factors include air resistance, wind, and human error in measuring the motion of the block.