First excited state of Helium. Triplets and Singlet

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibilities for two electrons in the first excited state of helium and how to determine which state belongs to the singlet or triplet state. It also mentions the difference in energy between singlet and triplet states due to the incorporation of electron-electron repulsion. The conversation concludes by thanking the expert for their response.
JamesHG
My question is the following one:

If i have the first excited state of helium, the possibilities for the two electrons are : 1s+,2s+ , 1s+2s-, 1s-,2s- and 1s-,2s+ , where + and - denotes spin up and down. If I use the slater's determinant to generate antisymmetric states, I get :

$$|u1> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|1s,2s> - |2s,1s>]\otimes|1,1>$$
$$|u2> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|1s+,2s-> - |2s-,1s+>]$$
$$|u3> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|1s,2s> - |2s,1s>]\otimes|1,-1>$$
$$|u4> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|1s-,2s+> - |2s+,1s->]$$

how i should i know which state (|u2> or |u4>) belows to singlet or triplet state if they can't be separed as tensorial product?

And why the energy from singlet and triplets are different?

Note : The |1,1> ... etc kets are referred to the coupled basis.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenstates of He have a (approximately) definite spin, therefore its eigenstates must be a product between the spatial function and the spin function. Your first and third states already satisfy this requirement, but the rest do not. If you write those improper states correctly you should get one with spin function ##|1,0\rangle## which is a triplet and the other one with spin function ##|0,0\rangle## which is the only singlet. Hint: try forming linear combinations of ##u_2## and ##u_4##.
JamesHG said:
And why the energy from singlet and triplets are different?
The states you write there result from a Hamiltonian ignoring electron-electron repulsion. You can see how the incorporation of this Coulomb term affect the energies by treating it as a perturbation. You should see that the excited singlet states lie higher than the corresponding triplet state.

Thank you so much for answering my question!

1. What is the first excited state of Helium?

The first excited state of Helium is a state of energy in which one of the electrons in a Helium atom is excited to a higher energy level. This state is also referred to as the 2s state, as the electron is in the 2nd shell or energy level.

2. What are the triplets and singlet states in Helium?

The triplets and singlet states in Helium refer to the different orientations of the electron spins in the first excited state. The triplet states have two unpaired electrons with parallel spins, while the singlet state has the two electrons paired with opposite spins.

3. How does the first excited state of Helium differ from the ground state?

The first excited state of Helium differs from the ground state in terms of the energy levels of the electrons. In the ground state, both electrons are in the 1s orbital, while in the first excited state, one electron is in the 1s orbital and the other is in the 2s orbital.

4. What is the significance of the first excited state of Helium?

The first excited state of Helium is significant because it is the lowest energy state in which the two electrons in a Helium atom can have different energy levels. This state is also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules, as well as in the study of quantum mechanics.

5. How is the first excited state of Helium related to the ionization energy?

The first excited state of Helium has a lower energy than the ionization energy, which is the energy required to remove one of the electrons from the Helium atom. This means that the first excited state is a stable state, and the atom is less likely to lose an electron from this state compared to the ground state.