First Interstellar Object to Hit Earth

In summary, the conversation is about a recent discovery of an interstellar meteor and the potential significance of this event in human history. The speakers discuss the possibility of researchers recovering and analyzing the meteor, and express differing opinions on the level of surprise and rarity of such an event. They also mention the importance of calculations in determining the origin of the meteor, and note that this discovery was previously reported on.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
While I am sure researchers would love to recover and analyze the meteor if possible, I will not think that the event itself is that surprising even if it might be fairly rare. I am here somewhat assuming that the calculations (details of which are not clear from the article) will show that the comet likely came from the Oort cloud or similar. If calculations end up clearly showing that the object is from outside the Oort cloud (i.e. an "interstellar comet") then it may of course be a tad more interesting or rare.

I read about this some time ago. Half a year maybe.

1. What is the first interstellar object to hit Earth?

The first interstellar object to hit Earth was a small asteroid named 1I/ʻOumuamua. It was discovered in 2017 and is estimated to be about 400 meters long.

2. How did scientists determine that it was an interstellar object?

Scientists were able to determine that 1I/ʻOumuamua was an interstellar object based on its trajectory and speed. It was moving at a much higher velocity than typical asteroids in our solar system, indicating that it originated from outside of our solar system.

3. What was the impact of the first interstellar object hitting Earth?

Fortunately, 1I/ʻOumuamua did not impact Earth. It passed by our planet at a safe distance and continued on its journey through our solar system. However, its discovery has sparked further interest in studying interstellar objects and their potential impact on our planet.

4. Are there any other interstellar objects that have hit Earth in the past?

While 1I/ʻOumuamua is the first confirmed interstellar object to pass through our solar system, it is possible that other interstellar objects have hit Earth in the past. However, they may have gone undetected due to their small size or trajectory.

5. What can we learn from the first interstellar object to hit Earth?

Studying 1I/ʻOumuamua and other interstellar objects can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of other planetary systems. It can also help us better understand the potential risks and impacts of interstellar objects on our planet.