First orbit of an asteroid this month (around Vesta, with ion drive)

In summary, Dawn spacecraft is nearing Vesta and is planned to go into orbit on 16 July. The craft will orbit Vesta for several months and then move on to another asteroid, Ceres. Several asteroids have been found to have moons, including Vesta which has a tiny moon. Dawn's mission is to study these objects in detail to better understand the history of our Solar System.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Dawn spacecraft is nearing Vesta and is planned to go into orbit 16 July.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/06jul_vestamoon/

The craft will orbit Vesta for several months and then move on to another asteroid, Ceres.
The NASA press release mentions that several asteroids have been found to have moons.
For example Ida has a tiny moon. A photo of Ida and its moon is included in the release. Also an early picture taken by Dawn of Vesta itself.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice! Thanks marcus!

Should we start a pool? How many moons does Vesta have? My guess is 2. Soon we'll know!

1 + or - 1.

Drakkith is sure to win :biggrin: One plus-or-minus one covers all the reasonable possibilities, including zero (which is my guess).

According to the latest report, Dawn goes into orbit around Vesta tomorrow, 15 July. It will stay in orbit for about one Earth-year, and then (if all goes well) move on to orbit Ceres.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/15jul_dawn2/

To me the surface of Vesta (which we are beginning to see in some detail) does not look very interesting. I am more excited by the prospect of our studying Ceres, which is believed to have a lot of water in the form of an ice mantle. One estimate is 200 million cubic km.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Ceres_(dwarf_planet)#Internal_structure

This compares with the amount of water in all forms (freshwater, oceans, ice sheets, ground water etc.) on Earth, estimated at 1380-1390 million cubic km.
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/earthhowmuch.html

Ceres is classified as a "dwarf planet", which I expect means that it is inhabited by dwarves :biggrin:
They probably have their houses deep in the ice mantle layer which is thought to be 100 or more km thick.
Dwarves are known to like caves, so that would make sense.

In any case I am a bit more intrigued by the prospect of Dawn studying Ceres. But Vesta (not a dwarf planet with differentiated structure, but a large asteroid) is already interesting. So here we go.

Last edited:
Do you think the dwarves will accept immigrants? I've always wanted to be the tallest person in the world at 5'7".

Drakkith said:
Do you think the dwarves will accept immigrants? I've always wanted to be the tallest person in the world at 5'7".

I'm sure you realize that as scientists we must base our statements only on firm evidence, not on idle speculation and guesswork. We know that Ceres is inhabited by dwarves, since it is unquestionably a dwarf planet. But so far, at this point, we know nothing about their immigration policy.

=======================

Dawn is now in orbit around Vesta, and we have this photograph
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2011/18jul_dawn4/

Last edited:
I think my work likes to do weird things to half the links here at PF, so I can't see any pics yet. I'll have to look when I get home.

But it is definitively interesting with the bands and stuff.

Drakkith said:
I think my work likes to do weird things to half the links here at PF, so I can't see any pics yet. I'll have to look when I get home.

But it is definitively interesting with the bands and stuff.

Sorry Drakkith! the first link I put up was bad. Fixed it.

1. What is the purpose of the first orbit of an asteroid this month?

The first orbit of an asteroid this month, specifically around Vesta, is to gather data and conduct observations on the asteroid's composition, structure, and movement. This information can help us better understand the origins and evolution of our solar system.

2. How is the first orbit of an asteroid achieved?

The first orbit of an asteroid is achieved using an ion drive, which is a type of propulsion system that uses electricity to accelerate ions (charged particles) and propel the spacecraft forward. This allows for precise and efficient maneuvering around the asteroid.

3. How long will the first orbit last?

The duration of the first orbit around Vesta will depend on the specific mission and objectives of the spacecraft. However, typically, orbits around asteroids can range from a few weeks to several months. The length of the orbit can also be adjusted as needed for further observations or maneuvers.

4. What information can we expect to learn from the first orbit of an asteroid?

The first orbit of an asteroid can provide valuable information about its size, shape, density, and surface features. Scientists can also use data from the orbit to determine the asteroid's composition, including the types of minerals and elements present on its surface. Additionally, observations from the orbit can help us understand how the asteroid is affected by its environment and the forces of gravity.

5. How will the first orbit of an asteroid contribute to future space exploration?

The first orbit of an asteroid is an important step in our understanding of these celestial bodies and their potential impact on our planet. By studying asteroids up close, we can gather crucial information that can aid in future asteroid mining missions, potential asteroid deflection strategies, and even human exploration of these fascinating objects. The data and insights gained from the first orbit will continue to inform and advance our knowledge of asteroids and the broader universe.