First order differential equation

In summary, the student attempted to solve a differential equation but made an error in the integration.
Felipe Lincoln
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Solve the following differential equation such that ##x(0)=1##.
## \dfrac{dx}{dt} + 2tx = 3e^{-t^2}+t##

Homework Equations

Integrating factor:
##\mu(t) = exp\left(\int_0^t2t \right)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the integrating factor and then got the solution ##x(t) = 3te^{-t^2}+\dfrac{1}{2} + C ## and using the initial condition I got ##x(t) = 3te^{-t^2}+1 ## but if I replace this result into the differential equation I get 2t = t. I first tried to solve it again and got the same solution. Maybe the initial condition should be 1/2 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Felipe Lincoln said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Integrating factor:

I used the integrating factor and then got the solution ##x(t) = 3te^{-t^2}+\dfrac{1}{2} + C ## and using the initial condition I got ##x(t) = 3te^{-t^2}+1 ## but if I replace this result into the differential equation I get 2t = t. I first tried to solve it again and got the same solution. Maybe the initial condition should be 1/2 ?

You'd better show us how you solved that because I don't get a simple additive constant ##C##. The ##C## should be multiplied by something related to the integrating factor.

I agree with Dick. Check that you treated the ##C## correctly at the step where you solved for ##x(t)##.

I agree with both of you, my ##C## isn't correct, but I do not think it would matter, if my solution was ##x(t) = 3te^{-t^2}+ C ## I would get the same result applying the initial conditions.

you made an algebraic mistake when you had to integrate exp ( t^2) ( 3 exp(-t^2) ) i.e integrate 3 dt to get 3t now do rest of the calculation

Felipe Lincoln said:
I agree with both of you, my ##C## isn't correct, but I do not think it would matter, if my solution was ##x(t) = 3te^{-t^2}+ C ## I would get the same result applying the initial conditions.
Actually, your ##C## is correct, but your solution is not. Your difficulty has nothing to do with the initial condition. Post your solution steps here and someone will show your mistake.

Felipe Lincoln said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Integrating factor:

It looks like you obtained the correct integrating factor ##\displaystyle \ \mu (t) =e^{t^2} ##, and did the integration correctly. At that point, you should have included a constant of integration, ##\ C\,.\ ## Also, at that point, you could have applied the boundary condition to evaluate ##\ C\,.\ ##

Alternatively, rather than evaluating ##\ C\ ## at that point, it seems that you then solved for ##\ x(t)\ ## by multiplying by ##\displaystyle \ e^{-t^2} \ (## or dividing by ##\displaystyle \ e^{t^2}\,).\ ## It seems that in doing this you forgot to also multiply (or divide) ##\ C\ ## by this factor.

What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its first derivative. It is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. Some examples include modeling population growth, predicting chemical reactions, analyzing electrical circuits, and designing control systems.

How do you solve a first order differential equation?

The method for solving a first order differential equation depends on the specific equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using substitution methods. Additionally, there are various software programs and online tools available for solving differential equations.

What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves an unknown function of one variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation involves an unknown function of multiple variables and its partial derivatives. Ordinary differential equations are often used to model processes that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model processes that involve multiple variables.

What are the applications of first order differential equations in biology?

In biology, first order differential equations are commonly used to model population dynamics, enzyme kinetics, and neural networks. They can also be used to analyze biological processes such as gene expression and protein interactions.