First Order ODE Growth and Decay Modelling

In summary, the conversation discusses modeling the growth rate of bacteria and the removal rate of a virus using an ODE. There is confusion about the meaning of the "growth rate (as a percent)" and whether it is proportional to the square of the population or the population itself. It is suggested to clarify this with the professor.
mjk11

Homework Statement

A culture of bacteria have a growth rate (as a percent) given by [itex]kb[/itex] per year, constant [itex]k>0[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] is the number of bacteria. A virus removes bacteria at a rate of [itex]m[/itex] bacteria per year. I am trying to model this information using an ODE, but might be making a mistake.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the percent growth rate is kb, [itex](dy/y)/dt = kb[/itex] so [itex]dy/dt = kb^2[/itex].
Add this to the removal rate, and [itex]dy/dt = kb^2 - m[/itex].
I am not sure the model is as simple as this, it would mean the units of k are [itex]1/(bacteria*year)[/itex], which sounds odd.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the real confusion comes about when we try to determine what the question means by a "growth rate (as a percent)". To be honest with you, I have no idea what that means. The rate (in percent, per year) is kb, which depends on the number of bacteria. This suggests that the "actual" rate is [itex]kb^2[/itex], as you inferred. However, bacteria don't reproduce proportional to the square of their population; they reproduce by binary fission. The rate of reproduction should be proportional to [itex]b[/itex], not [itex]b^2[/itex].

If you're concerned, ask your professor about this problem, and how you should interpret "as a percent".

EDIT: Welcome to the forum, by the way.

I think that growth rate as a percent refers to fractional growth rate i.e. growth rate as a fraction of the existing population. So if the fractional growth rate is 5%, it means that if the population starts out with 'b' individuals at the beginning of the year, then by the end of a year, the number of additional individuals will be 0.05b. So k=0.05 in this example. So if dy/dt is the fractional growth rate, then I think that what the problem means is that dy/dt = k. But the fractional growth rate is the ratio of the growth rate to the population size. Hence $$\frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{1}{b}\frac{db}{dt} = k$$ OR $$\frac{db}{dt} = kb$$ which gives you the standard exponential growth for populations of this type. I think that this is what the problem is saying, but I could be wrong.

1. What is the difference between growth and decay in First Order ODE modelling?

In First Order ODE modelling, growth refers to an increase in the quantity or value being modelled over time, while decay refers to a decrease in the quantity or value over time. This can be represented mathematically using different signs for the coefficients in the ODE equation.

2. How do I determine the initial condition for a growth or decay model?

The initial condition for a growth or decay model is the value of the quantity at time zero. This can be determined from the problem statement or by collecting data at time zero. It is usually denoted by the variable y0 in the ODE equation.

3. Can First Order ODE growth and decay models be used for real-world applications?

Yes, First Order ODE growth and decay models are commonly used in various real-world applications such as population growth, radioactive decay, and financial modelling. These models can provide valuable insights and predictions for future trends.

4. What is the difference between a linear and exponential growth or decay model?

A linear growth or decay model assumes a constant rate of change over time, while an exponential growth or decay model assumes a changing rate of change. In other words, the quantity in a linear model will increase or decrease by a fixed amount over a fixed time period, while in an exponential model, the rate of change itself is changing.

5. How do I solve a First Order ODE growth or decay model?

First Order ODE growth and decay models can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The chosen method will depend on the specific form of the ODE equation. It is important to check the solution for accuracy and validity, and to interpret the results in the context of the problem.