First Order Perturbation Theory - QM

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of first order perturbation theory to estimate the ground state energy of a 1D harmonic oscillator with a perturbed angular frequency. The integrals and calculations are shown, but a mistake is identified in the integration, possibly due to forgetting the normalization constant.
BOAS

Homework Statement

The ground state energy of the 1D harmonic oscillator with angular frequency ##\omega## is ##E_0 = \frac{\hbar \omega}{2}##. The angular frequency is perturbed by a small amount ##\delta \omega##. Use first order perturbation theory to estimate the ground state energy of the perturbed system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have calculated the energy shift, but I don't think my units make sense.

My perturbation: ##\Delta V(x) = V(x) - V_0(x)##, where ##V_0(x)## is my unperturbed potential. ##V(x) = \frac{m (\omega + \delta \omega)^2 x^2}{2} = \frac{mx^2}{2} (\omega^2 + \delta \omega^2 + 2 \omega \delta \omega)##.

##\Delta V(x) = \frac{m x^2}{2} (\delta \omega^2 + 2 \omega \delta \omega)##

From first order perturbation theory, ##\Delta E_n^{(1)} = \langle \Delta V \rangle ^{(0)}_n## i.e the first order correction to the energy is the expectation value of the perturbation in the unperturbed state.

Using the ground state wave function for the harmonic oscillator ##\psi_0 = (\frac{m \omega}{\pi \hbar})^{1/4} e^{-\frac{m \omega x^2}{\hbar}}## I calculate the expectation value of the perturbation.

##\langle \Delta V \rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty} \psi* \Delta V \psi##

I'm skipping the details of this integral, but I find that it is equal to ##\langle \Delta V \rangle = \frac{m}{2} (\delta \omega^2 + 2 \omega \delta \omega)##.

This doesn't seem right to me as it does not have units of energy. Have I made a mistake in my reasoning, or does the error likely lie in how I have evaluated that integral? If it's the latter, I can try to find the error myself.

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake in the integration. Be careful that you don't forget the normalization constant.

1. What is First Order Perturbation Theory in Quantum Mechanics?

First Order Perturbation Theory is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to approximate the behavior of a system that has been slightly perturbed from its original state. It allows for the calculation of energy levels and wavefunctions of a perturbed system by considering the effects of the perturbation on the original, unperturbed system.

2. How does First Order Perturbation Theory work?

In First Order Perturbation Theory, the perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions are calculated by adding a "correction" term to the energy levels and wavefunctions of the unperturbed system. This correction term takes into account the perturbation and its effects on the system. The resulting perturbed energy levels and wavefunctions are then used to make predictions about the behavior of the perturbed system.

3. What are some applications of First Order Perturbation Theory?

First Order Perturbation Theory is commonly used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of systems that have been perturbed by external forces, such as electric or magnetic fields. It is also used in the study of atomic and molecular spectra, and in the analysis of chemical bonding and reaction mechanisms.

4. What are the limitations of First Order Perturbation Theory?

First Order Perturbation Theory is only accurate for small perturbations and cannot account for higher order effects. It also assumes that the perturbation is small compared to the unperturbed system, and that the perturbed system remains in a superposition of energy states. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of degeneracy, or the possibility of multiple perturbations acting on the system simultaneously.

5. How is First Order Perturbation Theory different from Second Order Perturbation Theory?

First Order Perturbation Theory only considers the effects of the perturbation on the energy levels and wavefunctions of the unperturbed system. Second Order Perturbation Theory, on the other hand, takes into account not only the first-order correction, but also the higher-order corrections to the energy levels and wavefunctions. This makes it more accurate for larger perturbations and in cases of degeneracy.