FIRST Team T-Shirt cannon advice

• Thread starter CiscoCertified
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cannon
In summary, a simple catapult can be made using readily available materials and does not require a compressor.
CiscoCertified
Hi all, I had a question regarding an off-season tshirt cannon my team is doing. We have to choose between wheel launched (two wheels with loading system similar to pitching machine) or compressed air. I am all for compressed air because it has been done time and time again but from what I understand the wheel method is unorthodox method compared to compressed air. Below our the teams concerns that are against me on this issues.

• Cost
  • Time
  • Complexity
My disagreements are that building a tshirt launcher with unorthodox methods will cost us more in the long run because there is no viable proof that a specific setup will work and won't require major tweaking, so that knocks both time, complexity, and cost. We have a air compressor that will provide .88 cfm and a resevoir that will hold 36 cubic inches. We have relatively small tubing (a bit bigger than your average drinking straw) and we need to launch a tshirt from 50 meters at most a 45 degree angle. No one considered the math involved in this and I want to see if this is possible. Before I can argue my reasoning I would like to understand if this is possible with all of the variables taken into account. We would really like to fire multiple tshirts on one charge. In addition, how many cfm and psi will it take to launch a tshirt 50 meters, it can be ball park. Thanks! I just want us to use the best method.

UPDATE:
Here is another teams cannon and they are using the same compressor as us, and what looks to be similar diameter tubing. Of course we would use metal plumbing pipes (black ones from home depot or lowes). In addition to the questions above, how can we increase the amount of tshirts we can fire without getting a new compressor, (we can get a bigger secondary air chamber if need be)
d642748ff335180d6a359e40abede9df_l.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I notice that Safety is absent from your list of concerns. Mr. Subliminal wishes to mention that ##_\text{Maud Flanders}## compressed air is dangerous.

Have you considered a simple catapult? A t-shirt wrapped into a tight little ball and simple tossed by hand can easily go 20 meters. I could do that and I'm very nearly spherical. (That's a real picture of me in my avatar image.) A lever with an old inner-tube for a spring could probably launch a t-shirt well over 40 meters without much trouble. Wrap the t-shirts with a couple rubber bands to keep them in a tight package. You can even mount some kind of sound-creating thing at the top of the lever's swing. For example, it could ring a bell every time it launches the t-shirt.

Likes berkeman

1. How do I build a t-shirt cannon for my FIRST team?

Building a t-shirt cannon for your FIRST team can be a fun and rewarding project. First, you will need to gather materials such as PVC pipes, a valve, an air compressor, and a t-shirt launcher attachment. Then, follow online tutorials or instructions provided by FIRST to assemble the cannon. Remember to always prioritize safety and have an adult supervise the building process.

2. Can I use a t-shirt cannon during FIRST competitions?

It is important to check with your specific FIRST competition rules before using a t-shirt cannon. Some competitions may allow t-shirt cannons for promotional purposes, while others may not allow them at all. It is always best to check with the event organizers beforehand to avoid any potential issues.

3. How far can a t-shirt cannon shoot?

The distance a t-shirt cannon can shoot depends on several factors, such as the air pressure, barrel length, and type of t-shirt launcher attachment. On average, a t-shirt cannon can shoot t-shirts up to 100 feet, but this can vary. It is important to test your cannon in a safe and controlled environment before using it at a competition or event.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a t-shirt cannon?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when using a t-shirt cannon. Always have an adult supervise its use, wear appropriate safety gear, and ensure that the cannon is pointed in a safe direction. It is also important to never aim the cannon directly at people or animals and to follow all instructions and warnings provided by the manufacturer.

5. Can I modify my t-shirt cannon for other uses?

While it may be tempting to modify your t-shirt cannon for other purposes, it is not recommended. T-shirt cannons are specifically designed for shooting t-shirts and may not be safe or effective for other uses. It is best to stick to using your t-shirt cannon as intended and avoid any potential risks.