First Time Posters: Mods Deleting Threads

• Thread starter CWatters
  • Start date
In summary, a first time poster's thread was deleted due to not using the homework template, which is often accompanied by the lack of relevant information or effort in solving the problem. The mods may send a PM to explain the issue and the PF warning system will also send an email to the poster. It is recommended to report the thread instead of replying to it to avoid frustration.
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Recently I was in the middle of replying to a first time poster when the thread was deleted. The only problem with the thread was that the first time poster hadn't used the homework template.

Not exactly a warm welcome for a first time poster. Hopefully mods send them a PM to explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this happens.

Usually its more than just the template not being used. It may be:
- they posted in the wrong forum
- didn't indicate the level of understanding (relevant equations)
- and/or failed to show any effort in solving the problem

We warn the OP and then soft delete the thread.

The PF warning system will send them an email indicating the problem with their post with an opportunity to PM the mentor.

I would report the thread instead of replying to it to reduce your own frustration :)

CWatters said:
The only problem with the thread was that the first time poster hadn't used the homework template.

Usually that means that not only did they not use the homework template, they also didn't put the information the template is asking for into their post either. I can't speak for other mentors, but practically all of the homework forum reports I deal with involve a member posting their question and just asking for the answer, with no work shown and no relevant equations or other information. In those cases I do in fact warn the member and delete the thread.

If someone doesn't use the homework template, but puts all of the relevant information into their post, then there usually isn't a problem so it doesn't get reported or deleted.

Related to First Time Posters: Mods Deleting Threads

What is the purpose of mods deleting threads?

The purpose of mods deleting threads is to maintain the quality and integrity of the online community. This can include removing spam, inappropriate content, or threads that violate community guidelines.

Can mods delete threads without warning?

In most cases, mods will give a warning before deleting a thread. However, if the thread violates severe guidelines or is causing harm to the community, mods may delete it without warning.

How do I know if my thread has been deleted by a mod?

If your thread has been deleted by a mod, you will no longer be able to see it on the forum. Additionally, you may receive a notification or message from the mod explaining the reason for the deletion.

Can I appeal a deleted thread?

Yes, you can reach out to the mod team and explain your situation. They may review the thread and decide to reinstate it if it does not violate any guidelines.

How can I avoid having my thread deleted by mods?

To avoid having your thread deleted by mods, make sure to read and follow the community guidelines. Additionally, avoid posting spam or inappropriate content that could potentially harm the community.