Fitting Fraunhofer Diffraction Data

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for fitting data from an experiment to a nonlinear nested sine function, as shown in equation 3 of a provided link. The individual is using Matlab and suggests trying gnuplot for a good fit. They offer to assist with the data and model function if needed.
LogicalTime

Homework Statement

Is there a good way to do a fit. The fft looks simple:

I am trying to fit data from my experiment to the very nonlinear nested sine function given as equation 3 here:
http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys375/HillSpring10/Labs/Lab5Diffraction.pdf

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using matlab, the model function is crazy! Though the data looks good in Fourier space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try gnuplot, all in all it does a good fit.
it is just few minutes to do it. If you need help supply your data with the model function, i can try.
good luck

1. What is Fraunhofer diffraction?

Fraunhofer diffraction is a type of diffraction that occurs when a coherent light source, such as a laser, passes through a narrow slit and produces a diffraction pattern on a screen placed behind the slit. This pattern is characterized by a central bright spot and a series of dark and bright fringes, known as interference fringes.

2. How is Fraunhofer diffraction data collected?

Fraunhofer diffraction data is typically collected by placing a detector, such as a photodiode or a CCD camera, in the path of the diffracted light. The detector measures the intensity of the light at various points on the screen, creating a data set that can be analyzed to determine the diffraction pattern.

3. What factors affect the diffraction pattern in Fraunhofer diffraction?

The diffraction pattern in Fraunhofer diffraction is affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the incident light, the size of the slit, and the distance between the slit and the screen. Other factors that may affect the pattern include the shape of the slit and any obstructions in the path of the light.

4. How can I fit my Fraunhofer diffraction data to a theoretical model?

To fit your Fraunhofer diffraction data to a theoretical model, you will need to first determine the mathematical relationship between the variables in your data set. This can be done using the principles of diffraction and the properties of the specific setup you are using. Once you have the mathematical relationship, you can use a curve fitting algorithm to fit your data to the model.

5. What are some common challenges when fitting Fraunhofer diffraction data?

One common challenge when fitting Fraunhofer diffraction data is dealing with noise in the data. This can be caused by factors such as fluctuations in the light source, imperfections in the setup, or interference from other sources. It is important to carefully analyze and filter the data to minimize the effects of noise. Additionally, the theoretical model used for fitting may not fully capture all the complexities of the diffraction process, leading to discrepancies between the model and the data.