[Optics] Find maximum order number, Fraunhofer diffraction

In summary: This corresponds to the point on the screen where the irradiance from the light source is at a value of zero.I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the Pi/2 reference is supposed to mean here.
Decimal
Homework Statement
This problem concerns a single slit diffraction experiment where Fraunhofer diffraction is observed on an observing screen via a positive converging lens with focal distance f. The diffraction pattern has a central maximum of width dy, and the vacuum wavelength of the light is lambda.The attempt at a solution

The first problem was to find the slit width of this experiment of this experiment with the above data. I was able to solve this fine, by finding the position of the spots where the irradiance of the light becomes zero and then solving for the slit width.

However the second part of the question asks me to assume the the slit width as a given quantity b, and then calculate the "maximum order number for irradiance nulls". I don't really understand the question here. Is there a maximum order number? Don't the irradiance nulls just repeat forever (theoretically)? Because I don't really understand the question I also don't know where to start. Could somebody give me some pointers?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Decimal said:
"maximum order number for irradiance nulls"
Is this for an experiment that you actually performed? If yes, then I suspect that this means "visible irradiance nulls". That is, what is the maximum value of n (order number) for which your observed pattern is actually visible to your eyes?

This is just a problem from a problem sheet, not an actual experiment I performed. It doesn't say explicitly whether this concerns visible nulls. The equation I used to explore irradiance nulls in the first part of the exercise and what we derived in the lecture is the following $$ I(\beta) = I_0 * (\frac {sin(\beta)} {\beta})^2 $$

Here beta equals

$$ \beta = \frac {kby} {2f}$$

I suspect these equations will have to be used in some form in this part of the problem as well, but I am not sure. As I said I don't fully understand the question.

Do the viewing screen or the lens have a given width?

No, sadly they don't. All given data is stated in the post. I am starting to think it has something to do with the way the sinc function behaves at larger order numbers but I would actually expect the irradiance nulls to become more frequent at higher order numbers, not disappear.

In Fraunhofer diffraction the maxima become weaker and weaker with increasing angle or distance from the center, but never disappear completely, at least in principle.

I think this needs some clarification from your instructor. I suspect that some information is missing, or you’re expected to assume something that isn’t stated explicitly in the problem.

Alright, I guess I will save this problem for next week. Thanks for the help!

In case anyone else has this question, I was able to find the solution in a textbook somewhere.

Apparently what was meant by a maximum order number was using the equation $$\beta = \frac {kb} {2} * sin(\theta)$$ Here theta is the angle between the light ray and the normal vector of the screen. This equation formed an intermediate step for the derivation with the focal length I used in the first part of the exercise. The maximum order number for irradiance nulls meant setting theta so that sin(theta) would equal 1 and rewriting the wave number to include the known wavelength in the equation.

I still don't really understands what this physically means though. Say I set theta equal to Pi/2, then apparently I will find a maximum order number? But this means the light will never hit the screen, so how can you even speak of order numbers in this case?

Last edited:

1. What is the maximum order number in Fraunhofer diffraction?

The maximum order number in Fraunhofer diffraction is the highest integer value that determines the number of diffraction peaks observed in the diffraction pattern. It is calculated by dividing the size of the aperture by the wavelength of the incident light.

2. How is the maximum order number related to the size of the aperture and the wavelength of light?

The maximum order number is directly proportional to the size of the aperture and inversely proportional to the wavelength of light. This means that a larger aperture or shorter wavelength will result in a higher maximum order number and vice versa.

3. What is the significance of the maximum order number in Fraunhofer diffraction?

The maximum order number determines the level of detail and resolution in the diffraction pattern. A higher maximum order number means more diffraction peaks and finer details in the pattern, allowing for better analysis of the diffracting object or structure.

4. How can the maximum order number be determined experimentally?

The maximum order number can be determined experimentally by measuring the size of the aperture and the wavelength of the incident light, and then calculating the maximum order number using the formula: N = d/λ, where N is the maximum order number, d is the aperture size, and λ is the wavelength of light.

5. Is the maximum order number the same for all types of apertures?

No, the maximum order number is not the same for all types of apertures. It depends on the shape and size of the aperture, as well as the wavelength of light used. For example, a circular aperture will have a different maximum order number than a rectangular aperture of the same size.