Fixed gear ratio and correction tape

In summary: A very interesting patent.In this case I guess my tape also uses a clutch with a different design. I am surprised that the Chinese stationary manufacturers haven't copied this design since the patent has expired in China.
Leo Liu
I49IT9qE15x0a47wfI2MAazs=w1248-h1662-no?authuser=0.jpg

I recently got a new correction tape. When I was staring at it today (ya I knew I should be studying for calc2), I noticed that the gear ratio between the two gears was notable and fixed. In particular, the bigger gear that unrolls the tape has more teeth than the smaller gear that rolls up the used tape. While it is easy to guess that the radius of the tape plate attached to the smaller gear will not exceeds that of the plate attached to the bigger gear, as the radius of the plate of new/used tape decreases/increases, the gear ratio must become closer to 1:1 to accommodate for the decreasing difference between the radii. However, the gears in my correction tape are fixed, and this prompts me to wonder how this could work.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicely spotted :wink:

I think there will be a clutch somewhere on/in one of the gears.

Likes Leo Liu and Lnewqban
Rive said:
Nicely spotted :wink:

I think there will be a clutch somewhere on/in one of the gears.
After carefully observing the gear through the transparent case, I didn't find any clutch mechanism. I thought the used tape roll on the smaller gear might be able to slide on the shaft to compensate for the fixed gear ratio, but then I recalled that the end was taped on the shaft when I disassembled one correction tape in middle school, so this explanation was not correct.

Leo Liu said:
I recently got a new correction tape.
For a typewriter? o_O

Leo Liu said:
so this explanation was not correct.
Of course you have a specific type, while I'm thinking on a general solution, so what I suggest might not apply.
However... 😉

Rive said:
Of course you have a specific type, while I'm thinking on a general solution, so what I suggest might not apply.
However... 😉
First I would like to point out that by "not correct" I meant the explanation came up with.

A very interesting patent. In this case I guess my tape also uses a clutch with a different design. I am surprised that the Chinese stationary manufacturers haven't copied this design since the patent has expired in China.

jtbell said:
For a typewriter? o_O
Aha, now I see after a Google search that these appear to be for general "erasing" purposes. I've never used one of them, even back in the days when I prepared a lot of documents by hand in ink, e.g. physics/math homework solutions. If something became too messy because of crossed-out corrections, I simply wrote a fresh copy.

Likes Leo Liu

What is a fixed gear ratio?

A fixed gear ratio is a mechanical system in which the number of teeth on the driving gear is always equal to the number of teeth on the driven gear. This results in a consistent and unchanging speed ratio between the two gears.

How does a fixed gear ratio work?

A fixed gear ratio works by using two gears with matching numbers of teeth. When the driving gear rotates, it causes the driven gear to rotate at the same speed and in the opposite direction. This creates a constant and predictable speed ratio between the two gears.

What are the advantages of a fixed gear ratio?

There are several advantages of a fixed gear ratio, including simplicity, efficiency, and low maintenance. Since there are no additional moving parts or mechanisms, fixed gear ratios are less prone to mechanical failures and require less maintenance. They also provide a direct transfer of power, resulting in increased efficiency.

What is correction tape and how does it work?

Correction tape is a type of adhesive tape that is used to cover and correct errors on paper. It works by dispensing a thin strip of tape over the error, covering it and allowing the user to rewrite or type over the correction. The tape is usually transparent, making it less noticeable than traditional correction fluid.

What are the benefits of using correction tape?

Correction tape offers several benefits over traditional correction methods. It provides a neater and more professional appearance, as it covers mistakes without leaving any white space or smudges. It is also quick and easy to use, and mistakes can be corrected without waiting for the correction fluid to dry. Additionally, correction tape is less likely to bleed through or wrinkle the paper compared to liquid correction fluid.