Fixed Mass of Viscous/Inviscid , Compressible/Incompressible Fluid

• Thread starter DabaDuBa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid Mass
In summary, a viscous fluid has high resistance to flow and internal friction, while an inviscid fluid has no internal friction and can flow freely without resistance. A compressible fluid can change in volume under pressure, while an incompressible fluid maintains a constant volume. The mass of a fluid affects its behavior, with higher mass fluids requiring more force to change motion. Studying fixed mass fluids is important in various scientific and engineering fields. A fluid can only exhibit one type of behavior, either viscous or inviscid, but may exhibit a combination of both under different conditions.
DabaDuBa
Hello there ,

could you please explain to me what would happen to an inviscid/viscous incompressible flow (energy,momentum and entropy wise)falling from a height ? ( i.e a dam )

Thanks;)

Physics news on Phys.org
To be honest, I am not really sure what you are asking, especially since you say "invsicid/viscous", which are opposite terms.

I meant how would each of the mentioned values ( entropy , momentum , energy ) would change for both a viscous and an inviscid fluid for each phase : a ) at the top of the dam , b) while falling c) when it drops d) after the drop

1. What is the difference between a viscous and inviscid fluid?

A viscous fluid has a high resistance to flow and experiences significant internal friction, while an inviscid fluid has no internal friction and can flow freely without resistance.

2. What does it mean for a fluid to be compressible or incompressible?

A compressible fluid is one that can change in volume when subjected to pressure, while an incompressible fluid maintains a constant volume even when subjected to pressure.

3. How does the mass of a fluid affect its behavior?

The mass of a fluid is a measure of its inertia, or resistance to changes in motion. A higher mass fluid will require more force to accelerate or change direction compared to a lower mass fluid.

4. Why is it important to study fixed mass of viscous/invicid, compressible/incompressible fluids?

Understanding the behavior of fluids is crucial in many scientific and engineering fields, such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and materials science. By studying the properties of fixed mass fluids, we can better predict and control their behavior in various applications.

5. Can a fluid be both viscous and inviscid at the same time?

No, a fluid can only exhibit one type of behavior - either viscous or inviscid. However, some fluids may exhibit a combination of both behaviors under different conditions, such as being viscous at low velocities and inviscid at high velocities.