Fixed point method for nonlinear systems - complex roots

In summary, the task at hand is to approximate the roots of a system of equations using the fixed point method and justify the convergence or divergence of its iterations. This involves iterating the function G and analyzing the stability of its fixed points using the Jacobian matrix. It is important to choose an appropriate initial guess for x to ensure convergence.
RicardoMP

Homework Statement

I've been asked to graphically verify that the system of equations F (that I've uploaded) has exactly 4 roots. And so I did, using the ContourPlot function in Mathematica and also calculated them using FindRoot. Now, I've to approximate the zeros of F using the fixed point method with the iterative function G (that I've also uploaded). I must also justify the convergence or divergence of its iterations.

Homework Equations

The F and G functions are in the .png files that I've uploaded, where x=(x1,x2).

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I tried to verify the convergence criteria for the fixed point method, I tried to find the roots and proceeded to rewrite G in the form x=G(x). And so I arrived to the expressions: ##x_1=\pm \sqrt{-x_2^2}## and ##x_2=\pm \sqrt[4]{\frac{1-x_1^2}{4}}##.
Obviously faced with complex roots, before applying the fixed point method, I went on and tried to verify the convergence of its iterations, by studying the max norm of the Jacobian matrix of the rewritten G function. In the end, I got the matrix that I've uploaded (systemJG.png). Given a certain real interval to ##x_1## and ##x_2##, I have to compare the absolute value of a complex number and a real number. Anyway, I think I'm not going in the right path and I'm overlooking something and complicating the whole problem, starting with the fact I've only considered the positive roots of the ##x_1## and ##x_2## in the matrix... Any tips in how to tackle this problem or any similar example I can study?

Attachments

• systemF.PNG
    systemF.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 400
  • systemG.PNG
    systemG.PNG
    2.3 KB · Views: 405
  • systemJG.PNG
    systemJG.PNG
    880 bytes · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your approach and progress on this problem. It seems like you have made some good progress so far. However, I would suggest taking a step back and thinking about the overall goal of the problem. You have been asked to approximate the roots of the system of equations using the fixed point method and justify the convergence or divergence of its iterations.

One approach to this problem would be to first use the fixed point method to approximate the roots of the system. This involves iterating the function G until we reach a point where G(x) = x, which would indicate that x is a root of F. This can be done by starting with an initial guess for x and then repeatedly applying G to it. It is important to choose an appropriate initial guess to ensure convergence of the iterations.

Once you have approximated the roots, you can then analyze the convergence or divergence of the iterations by looking at the behavior of G. In this case, you can use the Jacobian matrix of G to determine the stability of the fixed points. If the absolute value of the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix is less than 1, then the iterations will converge to the fixed point. If the absolute value is greater than 1, then the iterations will diverge. This can also be visualized by plotting the function G and seeing where it intersects with the line y=x.

I hope this helps and provides some direction for your approach. Good luck!

1. What is the fixed point method for solving nonlinear systems?

The fixed point method is a numerical technique used to find the roots (or solutions) of a nonlinear system of equations. It involves repeatedly applying a function to an initial guess until the resulting value is close enough to the actual root.

2. How does the fixed point method work?

The fixed point method works by finding a point where the function intersects the line y=x, also known as the fixed point. This point is then used as the next guess, and the process is repeated until the desired level of accuracy is achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using the fixed point method for solving nonlinear systems?

One advantage is that the fixed point method is relatively simple to understand and implement. It also converges quickly for well-behaved functions, meaning it can find solutions faster than other numerical methods.

4. Are there any limitations to using the fixed point method?

Yes, the fixed point method may not converge for all types of nonlinear systems. It also requires an initial guess that is close enough to the actual root, which may be difficult to determine for some equations.

5. How can I determine if the fixed point method is suitable for a particular nonlinear system?

There are various tests and criteria that can be used to determine the convergence of the fixed point method for a specific system. These include the Banach fixed point theorem, the contraction mapping theorem, and the Lipschitz condition. It is important to consult with a numerical analyst or use computational software to ensure the method is appropriate for the given system.