Fixing Home Issues: How to Nail Contractors Without Answering Service

In summary, the consumer protection group, the Better Business Bureau, is ineffective in resolving disputes with contractors. The best way to contact a contractor and have them fix the problem is to calmly list the details of the problem, informatively state when and where the contractor was contacted, and propose a specific remedy that would satisfy you if the contractor did not fulfill their end of the bargain.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So i have to had my central heating fixed 6 times, my loo 3 times, the problem is i have to go through an answering service every time, how does one nail the contractors?

Physics news on Phys.org
a. with a nailgun
b. report them to the professional body they belong to
c. in court

d. picket their premises ... tell everyone about your experiences, talk about them on the web, and change contractors to one that does not use an answering service.

e. find out where they live and when they are out, superglue all their crockery and cutlery to the dinner-table.

Simon Bridge said:
a. with a nailgun
b. report them to the professional body they belong to
c. in court

d. picket their premises ... tell everyone about your experiences, talk about them on the web, and change contractors to one that does not use an answering service.

e. find out where they live and when they are out, superglue all their crockery and cutlery to the dinner-table.
:smile:

In the USA we have a consumer protection group called the Better Business Bureau. When trying to resolve something multiple times directly with the merchant has failed I approach them with a detailed list of dates, what happened, promises or discussions, results, etc. I have only had to do it a couple of times, but whenever I did the merchant suddenly bent over backwards to fix the problem right and right away.

Once you have found the best group to complain to the proper way to do it is:
1) calmly - whatever you write have someone else read for emotional content and don't send it immediately
2) informatively - list dates, names if possible, and all the details you have
3) constructively - propose a specific remedy which, if done, would satisfy you

Remember, the ultimate goal of the complaint is to fix your problem, not to vent your frustration.

Last edited:
If the problem is just getting through to the contractors, try calling in evening hours instead of daytime hours. Because most contractors are busy doing their jobs during the daytime, that's when you're most likely to get voicemail or someone else answering. They usually return calls in evening hours. If they have 24 hour answering services, try telling them it's an emergency or very urgent. That sometimes gets the service to forward your call. It's also possible the answering service is the problem, and they lose messages. You can try writing a letter detailing your problems contacting the contractor.

I also try to prevent issues with contractors by paying in thirds. They get the first third up front to order materials to start the job, or they can have materials delivered directly to me that I pay for on arrival and stay with me...that way if they disappear, I still have the materials I paid for and someone else can do the job. The next third covers labor costs for satisfactorily reaching the halfway point for job completion, and the last third when I'm fully satisfied the job is completed as agreed upon. If there's a dispute along the way, I'm not out of money, and for them, they aren't out the cost of materials, just labor if I need to fire them.

As for the Better Business Bureau, I think they aren't very effective. Reputable companies usually respond to problems without them getting involved as long as you find the right level of support, and disreputable companies don't care. They have no enforcement abilities.

Do you rent or own your home? It seems odd that you would have to discuss business with a contractor through an answer service unless you are renting and going through the landlord to have the repairs done.

Related to Fixing Home Issues: How to Nail Contractors Without Answering Service

What are some common home issues that require a contractor?

Some common home issues that may require a contractor include plumbing problems, electrical issues, structural damage, and major renovations or remodels.

How can I find a reliable contractor?

One way to find a reliable contractor is to ask for recommendations from friends and family who have had similar work done on their homes. You can also research online reviews and ratings from previous customers.

What should I look for when hiring a contractor?

When hiring a contractor, it is important to look for their credentials, experience, and references. You should also make sure they are licensed, insured, and have a good reputation in the industry.

How can I communicate effectively with my contractor?

To communicate effectively with your contractor, it is important to establish clear expectations and timelines from the beginning. You should also be open and honest about your budget and any concerns you may have throughout the project.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with the work done by a contractor?

If you are not satisfied with the work done by a contractor, you should first try to address your concerns directly with the contractor. If this does not resolve the issue, you may need to seek mediation or legal assistance to resolve the dispute.