Fixing LaTex Problems on IE7 & Windows XP - Matt

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter CFDFEAGURU
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the LaTeX capability stopped being robust to user errors a while ago, and when you preview a post that contains some erroneous LaTeX code, the preview will not show the bad LaTeX code icon.
CFDFEAGURU
Hello,

I have been using the LaTex commands for my equations in my posts, but ever since yesterday whenever I use a greek symbol, I end up with an integral symbol.

What is causing this and how do I fix it?

I am using Internet Explorer version 7 on a Dell machine with Windows XP for the OS.

Thanks
Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Clear your cookies.

2. Don't make mistakes. The LaTeX capability stopped being robust to user errors a while ago.

3. You might want to think of using something other than Internet Exploder, particularly a four year old exploder.

D H thanks for the information however, I cleared all cookies and switched to using Mozilla version 3.5 and the problem still remains.

Anything else that I can do?

Thanks
Matt

Seems to work okay for me in the EE forum (Vista + IE7)

berkeman said:
testing...

[tex]\alpha\chi\beta[/tex]

[tex]\Delta\Omega\Pi[/tex]

[tex]\sum \oint \int[/tex]

CFDFEAGURU said:
Hello,

I have been using the LaTex commands for my equations in my posts, but ever since yesterday whenever I use a greek symbol, I end up with an integral symbol.

So when you type something like \omega you get an integral?

what if you do a \partial or a \frac?

Last edited:
waht,

No matter what symbol I select from the reference pallete, I end up with an integral symbol.

I don't what to do. I tried D H's instructions and that didn't work.

Thanks
Matt

Please show some LaTeX code you are having problems with.

I suspect it is erroneous. When you preview a post that contains some erroneous LaTeX code, the preview will not show the bad LaTeX code icon, which is what used to happen. It will instead show some random stuff, usually a LaTex image from some valid LaTeX code that you previously generated.

...usually a LaTex image from some valid LaTeX code that you previously generated.

That is exactly what is happening. The last post that I used the LaTex commands in, I used the integral symbol.

I can generate some examples, but not until Monday. My work computer is the one with the problem and I am at home now.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is LaTex?

LaTex is a typesetting system commonly used for creating scientific and mathematical documents.

2. Why does LaTex have problems on IE7 and Windows XP?

LaTex is not fully compatible with older browsers and operating systems, such as IE7 and Windows XP, which may result in formatting and display issues.

3. How can I fix LaTex problems on IE7 and Windows XP?

There are a few potential solutions, such as using a different browser or updating to a newer operating system. You may also need to adjust your LaTex code to be compatible with IE7 and Windows XP.

4. Are there any alternatives to using LaTex on IE7 and Windows XP?

Yes, there are other typesetting systems available that may be more compatible with older browsers and operating systems. Some popular alternatives include MathJax and KaTeX.

5. Can I still use LaTex for my documents if I have IE7 and Windows XP?

It is possible to use LaTex on IE7 and Windows XP, but you may encounter some formatting and display issues. It is recommended to update to a newer browser and operating system for the best experience with LaTex.