Floating Arm Trebuchet Calculations and Predictions

In summary, the conversation is about building a trebuchet for a school project and the person is seeking help with calculations and implementing a sling. They provide information about the trebuchet they have built and ask for assistance in finding the energy of the projectile, implementing the sling, and understanding its effect on the trajectory and velocity. They also mention their familiarity with calculus and kinematics. Another person joins the conversation, expressing their own difficulties in finding a mathematical model for a floating-arm trebuchet.
Lordbob75
So, like quite a few others on this forum, I am building a trebuchet for a school physics class.
While I am really enthusiastic about the project (who doesn't love giant medieval war machines?), I may be a little bit over my head in the calculations.

So I hope I can give enough information, if not, just let me know!

Homework Statement

I have built a F.A.T. (http://www.trebuchet.com/10101 )
The oddity with this trebuchet is that it has no arm ratio as the counterweight sits at the very end of the arm, and the arm itself tends to be shorter.

What I do not understand is:
1) How can I find the energy with which the projectile is released? Mainly, how do I tell the displacement of the end of the arm (I know how to find Kinetic energy).
2) How can I implement the sling? By this I mean a few things:
a) What angle of the sling determines release, and how will that affect angle of release?
b) How does angle of release from the sling affect its trajectory, or would it just be a simple projectile arc problem solvable with simple kinematics?
c) How does the sling affect the velocity at release? I am at a dead loss for this one, though I do know that it whips it around, so perhaps a separate energy equation with kinetic energy, caused by the initial speed around a shortened arc? Just not sure how to implement that...

I believe that covers my questions, and I hope I have provided enough information to get a response.

Feel free to post back with Calculus, though Kinematics would be easier (though posting both would be best, I had one semester of Calc 1 and didn't do so well, but I understand the basics).

~Lordbob

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one?

I could really use the help.

~Lordbob

I've scoured the Internet for a mathematical model (or at least an attempt at one) for the behavior of a floating-arm trebuchet and have had zero luck. Is it an intractable problem? I'm tired of culling search hits for kits and plans being peddled by entities that have no concise explanation for FAT principles and operation.

Cheers,
-Casey Walsh

1. What is a Floating Arm Trebuchet?

A Floating Arm Trebuchet is a type of medieval siege weapon that uses a long arm to hurl projectiles at a target. Unlike a traditional trebuchet, the counterweight of a floating arm trebuchet is attached to a separate frame that pivots on a fulcrum, allowing for a longer and more powerful throw.

2. How do you calculate the range of a Floating Arm Trebuchet?

The range of a Floating Arm Trebuchet can be calculated using the following formula: Range = (2 x weight of counterweight x length of throwing arm) / (weight of projectile x length of counterweight arm). However, this calculation may vary depending on the design and materials used for the trebuchet.

3. What factors affect the performance of a Floating Arm Trebuchet?

The performance of a Floating Arm Trebuchet is affected by several factors, including the weight of the counterweight, the length of the throwing arm, the weight and size of the projectile, and the angle at which the trebuchet is launched. Other factors such as wind, friction, and the condition of the trebuchet can also impact its performance.

4. How accurate are trebuchet calculations and predictions?

The accuracy of trebuchet calculations and predictions can vary depending on the precision of the measurements and the accuracy of the formula used. In addition, external factors such as wind and friction may also affect the accuracy of the predictions. It is important to conduct multiple tests and make adjustments to the trebuchet design to achieve more accurate results.

5. Can computer simulations be used to predict the performance of a Floating Arm Trebuchet?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to predict the performance of a Floating Arm Trebuchet. By inputting the design specifications and environmental factors, a computer simulation can calculate the expected range and trajectory of the projectile. However, it is still important to conduct physical tests to confirm the accuracy of the simulation results.