Why might the two methods of calculating net torque not agree?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of a trebuchet, including torque, normal force, and momentum. The trebuchet is a simple fulcrum with a fixed mass at one end and a sling at the other. The questions posed are related to the changes in normal force and torque during a throw, the conservation of horizontal momentum, and the discrepancies between two methods of calculating net torque. The answers suggest that normal force increases when the counterweight is added and decreases as the trebuchet reaches its maximum velocity. Torque remains constant until the maximum velocity is achieved and then increases in the opposite direction. The horizontal momentum is not conserved due to friction and air resistance. Lastly, the two methods of calculating net torque may not
Losttime
I have a few questions regarding concepts of a trebuchet. I have figured out 3/4 of these questions, and I am looking to ask what you guys think the answers are, or if you can explain the concepts because I do not know if I have even answered the questions right. And the trebuchet is a simple fulcrum with a fixed mass at one end, and a sling at the other end.

No equations needed, its concepts. But I guess we can use:

Torque=Moment of Inertia x Angular Acceleration
Torque= F x r
N=mg + Component of Throwing Arm Force
I= mr^2
P=mv

Questions and my Attempts:
a. How does the normal force of the floor on the Trebuchet change during a throw?

When the counterweight is added and allowed to pull the short arm down towards the base of the trebuchet, the Normal force on the trebuchet increases because of the downward component of the swing force. Because there is more force being applied onto the floor, there has to be more normal force as it is the opposite. When the counterweight with the shorter arm begins to travel upwards to finish the swing, normal force decreases as force is being applied upwards, thus negating part of the force of gravity, which decreases normal force of the floor on the trebuchet.

b. How and why does the torque on the throwing arm change during a throw?

Since Torque= Inertia x angular acceleration, as the moment of Inertia remains the same and the angular acceleration remains constant until the max angular velocity. This means the torque on the throwing arm is constant until max angular velocity is achieved, which is before the countermass swings upwards. Then torque becomes 0 as max velocity is achieved at the lowest mass point (release point of projectile), and then increases in the opposite direction as the force of gravity pulls the counterweight downwards and creates acceleration until the trebuchet is stationary at the vertical position.

c. Is the horizontal momentum of the trebuchet-projectile system conserved throughout the process of rotation and after the throw, before the projectile lands?

No, this system does not conserve momentum due to friction of the system. Since it is not frictionless, our system loses velocity, therefore, momentum decreases. So the system does not contain the same momentum after the throw and during the throw as it did from the beginning. The projectile also loses momentum from air resistance, it loses velocity. So no, horizontal momentum is not conserved.

d. Explain why the two methods of calculating net torque might not be in agreement.

No clue :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way this forum works is that you post your attempts/solutions first, preferably quoting any equations you deem relevant. Pls define your variables.

What is a trebuchet?

A trebuchet is a medieval siege weapon used for throwing large projectiles, such as rocks or fireballs, at enemy fortifications. It works by using a counterweight to propel the arm of the trebuchet forward and release the projectile.

How does a trebuchet work?

A trebuchet works by using the force of gravity and a counterweight to launch a projectile. The counterweight is lifted up and locked into place, while the arm of the trebuchet is pulled down. When the arm is released, the counterweight falls, pulling the arm forward and releasing the projectile.

What are the different types of trebuchets?

There are two main types of trebuchets: traction trebuchets and counterweight trebuchets. Traction trebuchets use human or animal power to pull the arm down, while counterweight trebuchets use a heavy weight to generate the force needed to launch the projectile.

What factors affect the range of a trebuchet?

The range of a trebuchet is affected by several factors, including the weight of the projectile, the length of the arm, the weight of the counterweight, and the angle at which the arm is released. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also impact the range of a trebuchet.

How is a trebuchet used in modern times?

While trebuchets are no longer used in warfare, they have been adapted for use in modern times for activities such as pumpkin throwing competitions and educational demonstrations. They can also be found in theme parks and historical reenactments.